We are a group of Verado owners from all over the world that encourage the free exchange of information about the Mercury Verado and new 4S engines. We are not affiliated with Mercury Marine.
If you would like to join our group all we ask is that you register. If you want to join the contributor board, see the message down below in the free discussion area which explains the benefits of that section.
Your Source for Verado and 4S Information
September 03, 2014, 02:55:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: CLICK HERE to become a contributor and gain access to the Expert section.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Power steering/Corrosion problems  (Read 2285 times)
Don

Location (General Area): Pensacola

« on: June 18, 2008, 01:28:49 PM »

I read all of the other posts about steering, but my issue seems to be different (unless I missed a post).
Bought a new (2006) 200 Verado last year in May and put 150 hours on it with no problems. This year I had my boat upgraded (at the dealership) to two batteries. First time I took it out after that, I launched and immediately noticed no power steering. Called the dealer, they said I could use it that day without causing further harm and to bring it in when I could. Took it in and they fixed it in one hour and said it was a "loose wire". Took it out next time and fished a whole day with no issues, then the next time I took it out, no power steering. This time I left it with the dealer for three weeks. They told me it was a recall and they had to order a "90 amp fuse kit" which is why it took so long. Launched this weekend, went 30 miles offshore trolled for 4 hours and got ready to head back in and guess what.....? NO POWER STEERING!

OBTW, I called Mercury because I never got a recall letter, and they said there were no steering recalls for single engines.

I am at 175 hours and other than this, I couldn't be happier. The dealership I bought it from is 45 miles away and $21.00 in tolls, so I made an appointment at another dealer that advertises "Verado Certified", but they can't get to it for two weeks.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 09:09:30 PM by Glen E » Logged
chunkylove

Location (General Area): Jacksonville, Fl

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2008, 01:45:05 PM »

I had similar problems .......I took the wiring harness connections apart on the power steering pump ( two at the pump) and the engine connector apart ...Applied some woody wax and have not had a problem since..

I may not be as smart as I tell you I am but I'm not as dumb as I look!
Gene Ashton
Contributor
Veteran

Location (General Area): Kill Devil Hills North Carolina

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2008, 03:18:55 PM »

The Power steering pump is by far the best thing about the Verado. When I purchased my engine, I just knew that was going to be a headache,and wouldn't last very long. I've used mine for 2 engines,over 5,200 hours,and only replace the fuse....
Glen
Administrator

Location (General Area): Fort Lauderdale area

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2008, 03:47:34 PM »

OBTW, I called Mercury because I never got a recall letter, and they said there were no steering recalls for single engines.

totally true - only twins and trips were affected.....good thing you're finding another dealer - look at your connections and voltages - go to the library and do the voltage test - if that's not the problem and above 12.5 AT REST....start looking at your connections with a corrosion eater like woody wax....

god I hate some dealers....if this jerk is the same one as who installed the 2nd batt, no telling how he did that.....
« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 03:48:37 PM by Glen E » Logged

Welcome! Please search before you post new threads
Don

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2008, 10:59:48 AM »

Thanks for the help, I 'll give the suggestions a shot!
TwentyFourSeven
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2008, 04:26:45 PM »

I dont know how some dealers and mechanics get their Verado certification. There are a lot of certified idiots out there. Id be damed if my boat sat for three weeks at a dealer. I currently need a fuel pump replaced cause its throwing critical fuel pump alarms and shuting the motor down. I told my dealer this, they are ordering another pump and want the boat in there for two hours to replace it while I wait. They did this all ready with the starbord motor about 8 months ago. My boat doesnt sit anywere but at the house where its safe.
Don

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2008, 08:55:29 AM »

It looks like you guys were right about a moisture/corrosion issue. The seas were good Saturday and I hadn't had a chance to look at the connections, but I decided to just go without power steering. Much to my surprise, it worked fine for 12 hours, so it is definitely an intermittent problem.

I will do the Woody Wax in the connections this week to hopefully solve the issue permanently. Are we talking about the same Woody Wax that I would use on the non-skid, or is there something special for electrical connections? I have corrosion-x, will that work?

For the engine spray down recommendation.
Will the corrosion-x work as a replacement for the CRC 656 that is suggested for spraying down the motor? I have Salt Terminator; will it work in place of the "Saltaway"?

Don't mind buying the right stuff, but I have the above on hand, so if it will work, I can save some $$
Glen
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2008, 09:10:57 AM »

Corr-X is great stuff for preventing corrosion - not sure about using it to clean out connections - goood old woody wax does that great..call corr X and ask - I've called them before as they make Rejex...
1 800 638 7361

Don

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2008, 12:22:03 PM »

Glen,

Thanks for the reply, I'll give a call.

Did you have any thought on using "Salt Terminator" and "Corrosion-X" vice the "Saltaway" and "CRC" recommended in the library for the engine spray down?

If you think I should stick with the recommended brands, I will.

Thanks again, great site.
Glen
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2008, 01:07:36 PM »

ok with your picks

Don

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2008, 02:44:22 PM »

Wow, another quick reply. Since I already have the products I mentioned, I save about $30 that I can put in the gas tank!

With this site being this good for free, I better upgrade soon, I am sure I won't regret it.

Thanks again!
CAP1
Veteran

Location (General Area): Raleigh, NC

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2008, 03:19:51 PM »

I use Saltaway in a small finger pump bottle for small areas, and in a 1 gallon exterminator type pump container for bigger areas and jobs, like my trailer brakes, rims and the like.

Don,
Part of the site IS free, but the most informative parts are accessed by contributing to the club and gaining the experts input. Glen has assembled a great cast of experts here he pays to be on board here to help disgnose problems.

Please consider becoming a contributor. It will be well worth every penny. (And it doesn't cost that much anyway.)

2006 206 Sea Pro - 150 Verado/ 16P Enertia

PLEASE SEARCH BEFORE YOU POST NEW THREADS!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Jump to: