We are a group of Verado owners from all over the world that encourage the free exchange of information about the Mercury Verado and new 4S engines. We are not affiliated with Mercury Marine.
If you would like to join our group all we ask is that you register. If you want to join the contributor board, see the message down below in the free discussion area which explains the benefits of that section.
Your Source for Verado and 4S Information
April 24, 2014, 05:19:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: CLICK HERE to become a contributor and gain access to the Expert section.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Verado Gen1-nov 2006-idle goes up and down and engine make noise at 1000-3000rpm  (Read 2123 times)
TheNorwegian
« on: September 05, 2011, 02:25:39 PM »

First of all - I would like to thank you for The Great Site of Verado engines! I live in Norway and it is a small country compared til USA- and the dealers of Verado are few. It seams like most dealers of boat engines have many different engines brands to work on and therefore not espesially experts in any!

So, I hope I can get some help from you in a matter of my engine!

I bought an 2007-mod Uttern D66 with a Gen1 - nov 2006 225hk Verado this year. With 110h on it. It didn't start very well, because of the Float-level problem. This was repaired and I was very happy with boat and engine. But there was a few issues that I noticed after spending some time with it, the idle was going up and down a couple of hundred rpms. A few times, after driving and then putting it into idle, the engine stopped but was easy to start again. This got better after a while. I startet to notice that "suddently" the engine was making a noice from 1000-3000 rpm, like some kind of resonance. It got worse after some trips. Since the engine didn't had it's 300h maintainance I decided to change sparkplugs and filters. The spark plugs were then black, you can see that on the pictures. I have spent many hours reading in this forum, and you don't like sparkplugs to be black in color....

I am thinking-could this be a couple of issues with my engine. Like is the bearings of supercharger go bad that make the noise? Where do I start to check about the sound-it is not so easy to check while driving.... Is the black spark plugs indicating that I need to push the engine to maks rpm for a long periode of time to burn out some carbon? Like I said I have changed the sparkplugs and the rpm got a little more less up and down, but it is still going up and down a bit. If I put the motor into gear and drives at about e.g. 700rpm it doesn't keep itself at 700rpm, but goes up and down 100 rpm or so. At e.g. 1200 rpm it is very steady.

Where do I start to check things and what should I do?

Background info:
Gen1-nov 2006 engine. Last owner did not use it in 2010, so it has just been started a few times on idle in 2010 and spring 2011.
Service 100h ok, not done 300h yet. The motor has now 150h, so I have used it for 40h.
Originale prop was destroyed after hitting something "hard" so prev owner changed to a smaller and engine revs to approx 5800rpm at about 40knots.
I have driven it at about 5000-5800rpms at almost all the trips, exept from the first ones because I had to get used til the boat and engine.
Gasoline was old-late 2009-but I have filled up 400liters after that so it should be fresh fuel in the tank and I'm not getting any water-in-filter warnings. In Norway we have 95octain fuel and it is said to be of very good quality. The prosessing plant for gazoline is just 10km from where I live. No one in Norway use Quickleen or other types to mix with the gazoline.
Battery ok-i have checked it the way you recommended it.
Temp water max, 65C/149F
Oil Temp max: 105C/221F

Picture of the spark plug, starting from the top:

Picture of the prop:
Glen
Administrator

Location (General Area): Fort Lauderdale area

« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 03:49:45 PM »

Search for:
Quikleen-get some or equiv
High idle /map sensor boot

Get it on the merc computer and get the rpm read out...I'll bet it's been trolled a lot

Welcome! Please search before you post new threads
Stevens

Location (General Area): Norway

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, 03:43:45 AM »

Hi Norwegian,

sounds like either bad/old gas or lots of hours at idle / low RPMs.

Don't know if you have any certified Verado techs near you, but it might be worthwhile to find one and have him run the diagnostic computer on your engine, just to see if there are any fault codes and to see the run-hour history.

A few points:  make sure your oil level is correct (not too little, not too much).  Give it some fresh gas (Super 98 Octane if available) and a good dose of Quickleen and run it at high RPMs for a few hours to clean the carbon out. One bottle treats 272 liters of gas, and you may double the dosage once in a while if needed.  Also, please remember to let the engine sit for a few minutes before starting it after tilting it down, so that all the oil drains back to where it belongs.  Otherwise, you may actually blow the turbocharger.

Where in Norway are you?  I have a few bottles of Quickleen sitting here (in Fredrikstad) that I bought and had sent over from the US.  I could send you a bottle if you want.  If so, send me a PM with your contact details.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 04:00:21 AM by Stevens » Logged
TheNorwegian
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011, 01:50:47 PM »

Thanks for the help!

What is the function of the High idle /map sensor boot, is it to messure gasoline/air mixture? I read about a guy that claimed he had to spray it clean often, but that sounds not very likely to me.

Any idea why I am not allowed to send PM's? I only get a warning that says "You are not allowed to send PM's"

Glen
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2011, 02:17:04 PM »

Thanks for the help!

What is the function of the High idle /map sensor boot, is it to messure gasoline/air mixture? I read about a guy that claimed he had to spray it clean often, but that sounds not very likely to me.

Any idea why I am not allowed to send PM's? I only get a warning that says "You are not allowed to send PM's"

you can only send PM's if you are a contributor....

http://www.veradoclub.com/smf/index.php?topic=1129.0
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 02:17:41 PM by Glen » Logged

TheNorwegian
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2011, 12:02:03 PM »

Where is the location on the engine of the High idle /map sensor boot? What should I be looking fore on the High idle /map sensor boot?

I have bought a bottle of Quickleen, so I will test it!

Glen
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2011, 12:04:13 PM »

Where is the location on the engine of the High idle /map sensor boot? What should I be looking fore on the High idle /map sensor boot?

I have bought a bottle of Quickleen, so I will test it!

if you have no techs nearby get a shop manual - the contrib side can help in more detail..it requires a procedure to get it off...

we will tell you what we think it is, we will not walk you thru the procedure due to legal ....

TheNorwegian
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2011, 04:20:30 PM »

I bought a can of Quickleen and head for the water at full speed, eager to burn away the carbon! The next week I planned for a long trip at full WOT, but sadly I god another problem with high water temp...that's another posting. I did a service on the engine at the local dealer and a print of Run History looked like this:

Run Time HRS      RPM Range
153,4                   Total run time
37,3                     0-749
35,5                     750-1499
57,9                     1500-2999
14,3                     3000-3999
6,2                       4000-4499
1,4                       4500-4999
0,5                       5000-5499
0,2                       5500-6249
a
I believe this is not very good....
I think it's a bit strange that only a few minutes is over 5000, because I have driven it at full trottle many times. But the previous owner may not have...

Do we feel sorry for the engine?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Jump to: