We are a group of Verado owners from all over the world that encourage the free exchange of information about the Mercury Verado and new 4S engines. We are not affiliated with Mercury Marine.
If you would like to join our group all we ask is that you register. If you want to join the contributor board, see the message down below in the free discussion area which explains the benefits of that section.
Your Source for Verado and 4S Information
July 31, 2014, 03:22:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: CLICK HERE to become a contributor and gain access to the Expert section.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Hooking your GPS to the Smartcraft Speedo/Vesselview  (Read 25211 times)
Glen
Administrator

Location (General Area): Fort Lauderdale area

« on: May 11, 2008, 04:28:49 PM »

[update: Merc is now releasing a new product that will make the below unnecessary if you are running a NMEA 2000 chartplotter/gps and smartcraft..see here:

http://www.veradoclub.com/smf/index.php?topic=2403.0

*****************************************************************************************************

The way your boat comes it reads speed for the speedo using a "notch" in the front lower leg of the engine. That's called the "pitot" and it's pure crap. It is inaccurate so therefore it gives you bad MPG and gets clogged with seaweed. Further , when it clogs, it will give you an alarm called "check Pitot" which is impossible to fix unless you are on the hard or want to jump overboard. . I pulled this from the owner's tips as this is the first thing you should do if you have the smartcrft speedo and a good GPS.

From the owner's tips in the Library:

Hooking up your Smartcraft speedo/SC 5000 systemview/vesselview to use GPS instead of the unreliable
pitot tube. Never get a “check pitot” alarm again...

A lot of new owners don’t realize the speedo is digital and can take NMEA output from your chart plotter/GPS to read speed, time and GPS info. Coming out of the back of your GPS are usually two wires called "NMEA out" (TX+ ans TX-) . The wire labeled “ TX+" should be connected to the white wire/blue stripe of the speedo. The other wire coming out of the speedo is blue/white stripe and should go to the same ground used to power the gps.. Now go to the "CAL2" setup of the speedo (see smartcraft PDF file in the library) and you will be able to choose "GPS" for speed which turns off the pitot tube. . If this does not work,  just reverse the wires - and yes,  that's in the install manual from Merc....NMEA uses small current so you can't blow anything up...You GPS also will need to be adjusted under the settings menu to send NMEA siganals out thru the wires --if you can set NMEA sentances, it needs RMB & RMC -  see your owner's manual for that. If there is a "baud" setting for the data, the setting the speedo likes is 4800 baud. Note: If you have vesselview and a SC1000 speedo - you will have to feed both. Now tuen everything off and fire it back up.

Here's the test to see if you're hooked up:

1. Turn on the GPS and your ignition, so the speedo is on. Create a waypoint 2 miles (or whatever) from where you are and hit "GOTO' so it is tracking the point on the GPS. The DTW (dist to waypoint) on the GPS should read 2.0 mi.
2. Push the mode button on the speedo and move thru the screens until you see the DTW data on the right side - it should read "2.0 mi"

If it does, all the data the GPS can send - speed, time, direction, DTW, etc. will come thru fine.

Now get accurate speed, and new features. Like "gallons needed to waypoint" and most importantly, accurate MPG info. The gallons to waypoint is invalueable - let's say you're going across lake michigan and you want to know if you have enuf gas - take the boat out and get up to the speed you would use to make the crossing - now 'GOTO" the WP across the lake and choose the gallon to waypoint screen - it'll tell you how much you'll use to get there - also you get "range to empty" (at the speed you are at now) like in your car....

Note - the vesselview needs a a seperate harness for this - it comes with the vesselview - some boat builders throw it away....
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 03:06:23 PM by Glen » Logged

Welcome! Please search before you post new threads
Head Hunter

« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 04:51:23 PM »

Glen,

What if your GPS is reading in knots....I looked at my GPS settings and could not find an option to have it display mph.  Maybe I am completly wrong but I messed with it for a while. 
Glen
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 05:20:56 PM »

Glen,

What if your GPS is reading in knots....I looked at my GPS settings and could not find an option to have it display mph.  Maybe I am completly wrong but I messed with it for a while. 

what kind of gps? - call their tech service -I'M SURE it can display in mph...but the speedo can be set to read knots too - page 23 of the calibration manual - I'll let you find that in the library....

Head Hunter

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 05:45:29 PM »

got it thanks
redhearts

Location (General Area): Ontario, Canada

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2008, 11:38:45 AM »

I have a question in regards to NMEA Version info.

I purchased a Lowrance LMS-520C GPS Chartplotter / Sonar and a LVR850 VHF radio and I wanted to connect them to my Smart Craft speedometer (i have a 175 verado with Smart Craft guages) the problem is that there is only one "out" wire from the back of my GPS. Lowrance told me that both components can be connected by splicing into the connected wire as long as the Smart Craft guages use a 4800 Baud rate. Does anyone agree?

I called Mercury and they said that the Smart Craft guages will not recognize information being sent from a GPS that is using version 2.3 or 3.01 etc.

My question is what version do i have to install on my GPS so i can connect it to the smart craft guages.

Any help would be appreciated.

Justin
Stevens

Location (General Area): Norway

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2008, 11:51:05 AM »

You don't have to install anything - your GPS will only transmit the standard  NMEA 0183 ver. 2 at the standard 4800 baud rate, which will be understandable for both the VHF and SmartCraft.  Just hook them up to the same leads and enable the right NMEA sentences and you're set to go.

Edit:  sorry, just had a look at your manual, and you need to set the right baud rate (4800) manually.  Apart from that, you should be all set.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 12:26:24 PM by Stevens » Logged
redhearts

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2008, 12:21:59 PM »

Thank you I will hook them up and waypoint to see if they are reading each other. Thanks for the quick response
Stevens

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2008, 01:20:53 PM »

Just notice that this kind of NMEA set-up can only have one "talker" (=your GPS), but many "listeners" (=SmartCraft and VHF, Autopilot, others).

So, for this Lowrance LMS-520C GPS Chartplotter / Sonar and a LVR850 VHF radio:

On your VHF, only hook up the receiving NMEA leads, not the transmitting ones.  In other words, connect the VHF radio NMEA receive+ wire (brown) to the yellow NMEA transmit+ wire from the GPS AND to the white speedo NMEA wire.  Then, connect the VHF radio NMEA ground (red) to the NMEA ground wire of the GPS AND to the blue speedo NMEA wire.

Then, in your GPS, enable NMEA output, set the baud rate to 4800, and enable the following sentences RMB, RMC (for the SmartCraft) and GLL (for the VHF).

In your SmartCraft system, enable the GPS speed input (see Glen's instructions) and set the transition speed at, say, 10 MPH.

In your VHF, program your MMSI number.  This enables the DSC and Distress functions. In other words, you can use the MMSI number of a buddy to make a direct call, and when pushing the Distress button, the radio will transmit an emergency signal containing your identity and location.

Hope this works out well for you.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 03:58:13 PM by Stevens » Logged
redhearts

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2008, 02:39:40 PM »

Stevens, Thank you... i've spent many hours on the phone with Mercury and Lowrance trying to get answers to this question, great information.
Justin
gameco34

Location (General Area): hickory nc

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2008, 06:59:51 PM »

I have a lms 527 and do you have to hook up the nmea power cables coming out of the gps unit also or does the smart craft and vhf have the power for this.

2008 SV2100 Sea Pro W/verado l4 200
Stevens

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2008, 08:07:53 PM »

Gameco - See pages 29-34 in your manual.  If all you want is to connect the GPS to the Smartcraft & VHF, you'd use the NMEA0183 yellow & ground data cables and simply leave the NMEA 2000 cables isolated and not hooked up to anything.
Glen
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2008, 07:19:23 PM »

I just mounted a new Garmin GPS (4210) and rewired the whole NMEA thing - here's how it went down - I have no idea if this is the "correct" method but it works perfectly. I have a vesselview, SC speedo, TR-1 and Uniden VHF that needed to receive the GPS info. Here's the simple steps I used.
1. Find the "+" port #1 output wire from the GPS - On the new Garmin's it's a grey wire in the NMEA loom that comes out the back of the Garmin.
2. Find the Black ground wire coming out of the same loom. Not the black wire for power. Wire it to the same black ground wire for the power
3. Find all the "+" RX wires from the devices
4. Connect/splice #1 and #3 steps together - twist them all together and solder/heatshrink - however you connect wires...
5. All the "-" NMEA wires from the devices go to back to the same ground used in #2

Works immediately - one gps wire supplies 4 of my devices with no problem....
« Last Edit: June 08, 2008, 07:40:22 PM by Glen E » Logged

BMac
Contributor

Location (General Area): Perth, Western Australia

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2008, 07:11:06 AM »

Just hooked up the Navman 5605 to my Vessel View- very simple and very cool!

No more Pitot pain is the a$$ and the other waypoint and distance calculation features are great to have on the VV!

Next will be the System Link gauges.

Cheers
Brendan
inspector62

Location (General Area): SW Florida

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2008, 08:42:56 PM »

Glen,

I just put a new Garmin in my boat, do I need a NEMA wire harness, or should the wires already be there???

Thanks!

BTW, the Garmin Blue Charts is the best I've found.

2008 24' SeaPro Bay boat 225 Verado.
inspector62

Location (General Area): SW Florida

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2008, 09:17:34 PM »

Thanks Glen.  Mine is flush mounted and it's helpful to know before I open it up.

2008 24' SeaPro Bay boat 225 Verado.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Jump to: