We are a group of Verado owners from all over the world that encourage the free exchange of information about the Mercury Verado and new 4S engines. We are not affiliated with Mercury Marine.
If you would like to join our group all we ask is that you register. If you want to join the contributor board, see the message down below in the free discussion area which explains the benefits of that section.
Your Source for Verado and 4S Information
July 24, 2014, 03:24:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: CLICK HERE to become a contributor and gain access to the Expert section.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Thoughts on 200 HP Verado Motors  (Read 13034 times)
pfilfa1

Location (General Area): orlando fl

« on: November 22, 2010, 09:26:40 AM »

Looking for some real world experience on the Verados. I currenlty have 275 hp and have no issues with these whatsoever but my boat is well over powered and i want something lighter and better fuel economy also like to get back under warranty.  the 200's seem  like a good option as i can buy and pretty much plug and play with my existing rigging. I found a set of 2011 for right around 14K each...  i have entertained the option of going to Suzuki which is the same price but includes all rigging and install.

anyone with 200 verados? how is the fuel burn?  reliability?
Glen
Administrator

Location (General Area): Fort Lauderdale area

« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2010, 09:46:44 AM »

The engines are fine in all respects but the 4 cylinders are much rougher vibration wise than the 6 cyl units. They are good for 4 cyl's but still in comparison with the 6, you 'll notice it. Go see if you can catch a ride on one before you decide.

Welcome! Please search before you post new threads
pfilfa1

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2010, 11:45:58 AM »

Yeah i have heard about the vibration, i came from old johnson 150's on my last boat and they never bothered me. i doubt i would even notice the vibration.

more looking at fuel burn and reliability. and if they would be plug and play with my smart craft system on the boat now.
RKP

Location (General Area): Fort Myers, FL

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2010, 12:27:40 PM »

Here is some of the performace information for a 200 Dauntless which has the 150 and 200 Verados as options.

http://media.channelblade.com/boat_graphics/eprowebsitemedia/2904/EnginePerformance/204636_EnginePerf.pdf

The numbers for the 200 L4 Verado are pretty close to what I have seen.  But you may be comparing apples to oranges depending on what type of boat you have.

There is a large difference in the vibration between the 4 and 6 cylinder motor.  If you get a chance test drive the 4 and then the 6  you will notice the difference.
pfilfa1

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2010, 02:54:38 PM »

Anyone in Central Florida w/ 200's?Huh?

I have twin 275s... and looking at twin 200s.. looks like i might be going the suzuki route...

is the vibration THAT bad?? i don't need it to be as nice as the 275s but if its gonna shake my whole boat... no...
RKP

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2010, 03:19:29 PM »

The vibration is not bad it is just that when compaired to the 6 cyl it is noticable.

Did not know you were looking at twins. 
Check out the performace for the 250 Outrage on page 4 is the twin 200 L4 data.

http://media.channelblade.com/boat_graphics/eprowebsitemedia/2904/EnginePerformance/204639_EnginePerf.pdf
Butch Davis

Location (General Area): Lower Alabama

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2010, 07:24:44 PM »

The vibration is barely noticeable.  It is absolutely no big deal.  If you compare a BMW six cylinder engine to a BMW four cylinder engine you'd have to say the six is smoother.  Matter of fact I defy you to tell when a six is running just by vibration.  That's the nature of the two in-line engines.  But the four is so smooth that you won't notice it except in comparison.
pfifla1

Location (General Area): orlando, fl

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2010, 07:38:12 PM »

Butch i appreciate it!!! looks like i am going to pull the trigger on some new 200's... really looking forward to testing it out!!!
Len R
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2010, 08:00:27 PM »

I have over 1000 hrs. on my 08 L-4 and it has performed flawlessly.....As for vibration, you will bearly notice....The only slight vibration I have ever felt is when I run my Rev 4 propeller at very low RPM....With my Enertia prop there is no vibration at all....Now mind you, I repowered from a 6 cyl. 2 stroke EFI to the L-4 200 three seasons ago and I am a fisherman rather than a luxury cruiser...You should be quite happy with the 200.......Good Luck whatever you decide.
RKP

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2010, 06:49:08 AM »

Here is a quick video with a 200 Verado, you can get an idea of the noise level.  Much better than a lot else out there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exrTfwjXyaU
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 06:49:31 AM by RKP » Logged
pfilfa1

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2010, 09:47:36 AM »

Thanks for all the advice... i believe i have decided to stay in the family....

now i just need to get rid of my 2 x 275s....
mortcatty

Location (General Area): eastern PA

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2010, 08:50:11 PM »

I just repowered my Sea Vee with twin Verado 200s. I replaced 2003 Mercury 225 four strokes (engine fire). The old motors were significantly quieter and smoother running. With both Verados idling I can feel the boat vibrating and the pop up cleats will rattle. Because they are small 4 cylinder engines creating a lot of horsepower for the size I expected them to be louder and rougher running. But it is more than I expected. I am realtively new to power boating (have been a sailer all my life) and the old 225s spoiled me. I am used to quiet sailboats and the almost silent 225s.  I am real curious on your experience with your new 200s when compared to the 275 you had been running.
boatdryver

Location (General Area): Pt. Reyes, California (San Francisco Bay Area)

2007 Boston Whaler 200 Dauntless/ Gen 1 Verado 175

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2010, 11:32:34 AM »

I have a 175 HP Verado on a 20 ft Whaler.  At idle in neutral I can feel a little vibration aft, which decreases when I go into gear. Similar to my Honda 90 4 cylinder/ Montauk combo previously.

Then, when I bump the rpm's up just a little to exit the slip the vibration goes away. so I'm aware of the vibration about 1% of the time I'm on the boat.  No big deal to me.

Talk about vibration at idle, I recently drove our club's rescue boat with a 3 cylinder Etec. Wow!! That's vibration!!

JimL

JimL
a64pilot

Location (General Area): U.S.

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2010, 06:52:10 PM »

I also have a 175, and on mine the vibe is worst at about 800 RPM or so, right about where some people troll. I don't know how smooth the 6 cyl engines are, but they should be real smooth as an inline six is almost in perfect balance  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engine_balance  V6 engines are a horrible idea and exist mostly because of packaging problems of an inline 6, an inline 4 can be made smooth, but it ain't easy, My CBR-1100 XX Honda has two different balance shafts spinning in opposite directions and different RPM's to quell the inherent vibes of an inline 4.
 I'll bet that at the same boat speeds the bigger motors will burn very little if any more than the little ones. Reason is recip engines are very efficient at part throttle, above about 75% power and that efficiency drops, so it's very likely that at higher speeds the little motors will actually burn more fuel than the big motors on the same boat and at the same speed. Of course if you run them both wide open, the big motors will burn a lot more, but your going faster too.
Jbird
Jbird

Location (General Area): Newberry, SC

Jbird

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2011, 07:15:18 AM »

2008 - 4cyl- 200Hp - 425 hours - To date, pretty much flawless... Lots of trolling, but have changed the oil every 50 hrs, and run the heck out of it at all other times....  Tongue

Jbird - 2008 228 CC Sea Pro - 200 L4 Verado
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Jump to: