We are a group of Verado owners from all over the world that encourage the free exchange of information about the Mercury Verado and new 4S engines. We are not affiliated with Mercury Marine.
If you would like to join our group all we ask is that you register. If you want to join the contributor board, see the message down below in the free discussion area which explains the benefits of that section.
Your Source for Verado and 4S Information
August 22, 2014, 07:44:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: CLICK HERE to become a contributor and gain access to the Expert section.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stuck Fuel Float or Fuel Pump?  (Read 3647 times)
walleye

Location (General Area): Saskatchewan, Canada

« on: August 02, 2010, 06:39:53 PM »

Hi Glen and Everyone,
I have been reading this site for about 1 year now and have learned a lot about the operation and care of my V-rod.  It's a great site.
Background: I have a 2006 150 Ser.#1B245425 Mod.#1150V23FD on 2006 1800 Lund Pro V.  For winter storage I fill the tank with gas (E-10) and add Sta-bil gas treatment  (get 3 ft. of ice in winter).

The question that I have is how does the tech diagnose a bad fuel pump?  Can he get that info when he connects his computer to do the diagnostic read on the motor?
Last spring when I got the boat out of storage (first trip after getting the ECM? reflashed under warrenty) and went for a ride, 20 minutes, fished (not using the V-rod) for about an hour and went to move to a new spot.  Got the boat up on plane when the motor started to lose power.  I pulled back on the throttle, came to a stop, turn motor off.  Restarted no problem and didn't miss a beat the rest of the day.  This happened about 4 other times last year.  From my reading of the site, I guessed this to be a fuel float problem.  This year, (same winter storage and used about 80 gal. of gas so far this year) last Saturday I lost power, pulled back on the throttle, regained power and kept going.  The next day when out tubing with the family, ran for about five minutes, motor died.  Waited about a minute, tried to start, (fuel pump did not run) started but would only sputter a minute and died.  Pulled the cover off and pushed the fuel pressure release valve.  Turned key on, fuel pump ran, stopped, turned key, ran a few seconds, but same thing, motor would only sputter and die.
Dropped boat off to get fixed, and the guy at the counter is saying that usually means the fuel pump.  I did a search on the site on fuel pump and didn't find anything.  I don't remember reading anything on fuel pumps either.
Any ideas?

Thank
Len
Glen
Administrator

Location (General Area): Fort Lauderdale area

« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 06:45:02 PM »

The fuel pumps on verados are very reliable - we don't usually see problems with them, It could be other parts in the FSM - which is the assy involved with the pump. A fuel float stops the engine cold and it will not restart - period. The fuel tube in the FSM could be bad. If the tech knows what he's doing with the laptop he can watch the float fill and deplete like it should,.

If I was storing for the winter I would run it out of gas before storing, letting the float marinate in NOTHING for the winter. But that is just me, and in no way Merc's recommendation.

Take it in.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 07:35:47 PM by Glen » Logged

Welcome! Please search before you post new threads
walleye

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 07:32:17 PM »

Ok,
Thanks Glen, I will post when I get it fixed to let you know what was wrong.

Thanks,
Len
walleye

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2010, 01:07:46 PM »

Hi Glen,
I got the boat back from the repair shop and said that they could not replicate the problem.  Motor ran fine.
1. Fuel rail pressure is 45 PSI at idle and 51 rev'd up.
2. Changed both fuel filters.
3. No fault codes came up on the scan and service guy said that they could see the fuel float move up and down.

Dropped boat at the lake after picking up, touch the key and started right away.  Let warm up, went to get up on plane and same thing.  Motor sputtered and died, as if out of fuel.

Installed primer bulb, took off chaps and all fuel hoses looked OK.  Went to lake, started fine and ran for 5 min. to fishing spot with no problems.  Went to leave and after getting up on plane and running for a min. motor started to die, pumped primer bulb and kept going.  For the rest of the day, had to keep pumping the primer bulb.

Replaced main and reserve selector valve and fuel line to motor.  I can blow on the fuel line back into the fuel tank and can hear bubbles.  Took boat out and same thing.  It seams that as long as the motor is idling, there is no problem.  As soon as it needs more gas, the motor dies or runs out of fuel.  I asked the repair shop if they tested the motor under load and they did not.

After reading some more on the site, it is my understanding that if the lift pump was not working, that a code should have come up on the scan.  I checked the oil and I noticed that I am making oil now.  If I had an injector sticking open, would this not show up on the scan?  If I was pumping the primer bulb to much, would the motor stall because of over pressuring the system (read somewhere)?

Also, can you run the motor on the lake without the chaps?

Thanks
Len
Glen
Administrator

Location (General Area): Fort Lauderdale area

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2010, 02:12:18 PM »

a float will not show any fault if stuck low and yours is. I have no idea why they just did not change it. Read how the float works and you can see it does not take much to stick it. It is sticking for you , and the ONE TIME the techs looked at it, it was not sticking.

Get it swapped. Problem solved.

Welcome! Please search before you post new threads
walleye

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2010, 02:23:26 PM »

Will order a new float and install.  Will let you know the outcome.

Thanks
eyecatcher01

Location (General Area): nebraska

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2010, 04:31:18 PM »

I just changed my fuel float...very easy and less than hundred bucks DIY. 
walleye

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2010, 11:57:39 PM »

Well, finally got the fuel float and hose to the fuel pressure regulator.  Installed myself, very easy just like eyecatcher01 said.  Took the family out and pulled the boys around on the tub.  Motor ran great.  About 4200 rpm, speed 23 to 26 mph, water temp 152F, oil temp 190F to 203F.

Thanks, for the help.

Walleye
tm7554
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2010, 08:55:13 PM »

Are you still making oil? 
walleye

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2010, 11:26:45 PM »

I think that the place that I first took it to get diagnosed, added oil to the top of the fill line.  When I checked the oil after I picked it up it was at the top of the fill line (panic), I thought that I smelled gas in the oil.  But after I removed some oil, (and calmed down) I smelled it again and I had the neighbour check it, there was no gas in the oil.  I wish all repair shops were members here, so little tricks like the oil level would be common knowledge.

Thanks,
Walleye
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Jump to: