We are a group of Verado owners from all over the world that encourage the free exchange of information about the Verado engine. We are not affiliated with Mercury Marine and accept no advertising. We strictly exist from members contributions.
If you would like to join our group all we ask is that you register. If you want to join the contributor board, see the message down below in the free discussion area which explains the benefits of that section.
Your source for Verado Information
July 16, 2019, 08:38:45 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: CLICK HERE to become a contributor and gain access to the Expert section. PROBLEMS? email me at glenersly@mac.com-DO NOT CONTACT PAYPAL

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Performance loss on one of two Verado 200s  (Read 241 times)
Dwerner

« on: June 24, 2019, 05:20:42 pm »

I just noticed performance loss on one of the twin Verado 200s on our boat. I just changed oil+filter, fuel filter and new gear lube.  400 hours, standard maintenance. Owned since new in 2012. The boat was in garage all winter, and fuel is new. First day fine, second day one engine just wasn't putting out as much power as the other, not keeping up RPMs while getting on plane. After digging for information, I now plan to check for supercharger leaks and test the pencil coils per advice found here. What else should I look for? Boat is 2.5 hours away in marina and the nearest mechanic is more than 100 miles from here, so I'm on my own for now. 
Len R

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2019, 10:05:29 am »

Pencil coil is most likely,,, Supercharger leak would cause RPM fluctuating and pulsing.... 

Boston Whaler 210 Outrage / L4 - 200 Rev.4
RazzleDazzle

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2019, 04:06:10 pm »

I'm sure you already tried this considering it's basic trouble shooting, but are you certain they are trimmed to an identical position? I'm running into the same issue with my starboard motor running ~400-500RPMs less than port motor on 2008 twin 150s. The discrepancy between RPMs increases the closer I get to WOT. Interested if you figure this out and I'll keep you posted if I can figure mine out.
Dwerner

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2019, 06:30:36 pm »

Yippee, i found it easily. I had read to look for loose hose clamps on the supercharger. When I got to the boat I pulled the cover off and looked for that and immediately found one of the crummy (Oetiker style) hose clamps loose and out of place on the tube. The tube was still connected, but I figure it had to be blowing by. I put a new screw type hose clamp on and when I tried it, performance matched the other engine. I am gong to replace all the factory hose clamps with screw types just to prevent future problems.

I would have checked pencil coils next, but no need. My problem was one engine not keeping up with the other on takeoff. Once the boat reached planing speed and leveling off at 5000 rpm, the weak motor caught up. 
Dwerner

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2019, 06:41:15 pm »

RazzleDazzle it sound to me like your problem is very likely different and having a bad pencil coil would be what I consider most likely. Have you done that simple test of those, where you disconnect one at a time will at moderate rpms (throttle only)?
RazzleDazzle

« Reply #5 on: Today at 01:03:43 pm »

Thanks for the update and glad you got it figured out. Iíll have to test my pencil coils but I think my motors just werenít trimmed exactly right because lately I havenít noticed that big of a discrepancy.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: