We are a group of Verado owners from all over the world that encourage the free exchange of information about the Verado engine. We are not affiliated with Mercury Marine and accept no advertising. We strictly exist from members contributions.
If you would like to join our group all we ask is that you register. If you want to join the contributor board, see the message down below in the free discussion area which explains the benefits of that section.
Your source for Verado Information
August 10, 2020, 03:39:56 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: CLICK HERE to become a contributor and gain access to the Expert section. PROBLEMS? email me at glenersly@mac.com-DO NOT CONTACT PAYPAL

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: System Fault Critical Shift Actuator  (Read 6984 times)
Jarhead67

« on: December 24, 2017, 05:18:05 pm »

Need some help. I've been dealing with an intermittent fault that has become more frequent and now has rendered the boat inoperable. I have twin 275 verados 2007 year. The starboard engine throws a "System Fault Critical Shift Actuator" code while underway usually around 4500 RPMs but it has happened at other RPM ranges as well. Never occurs when shifting. Usually occurs when throttle is being moved up or down. When the code comes up the motor shuts down completely. I am sometimes able to restart and continue to drive. Other times the code pops up repeatedly. It has been to a mercury dealer twice for this issue. No help from Mercury. The computer has been reflashed. The DTS harness has been replaced. The zero effort remote control has been replaced. The control modules have been replaced. The neutral safety switch has been replaced.  The mechanic claims to have swapped the shift actuators but the problem did not move. There are no recalls on my engines. Does this sound like a software issue or a mechanical issue?  Is it possible that the system needs to be recalibrated since the addition of new components? Not sure what to do at this point. Thanks!
Len R

« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2017, 11:53:02 am »

There was a shift actuator recall back in 08.....Type shift actuator in search and you will find lots of posts on the subject.

Boston Whaler 210 Outrage / L4 - 200 Rev.4
Jarhead67

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2017, 03:01:45 pm »

The bell crank recall was done. Mine were not included in the second recall.
Jarhead67

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2018, 07:48:59 am »

After one year in the shop replacing or swapping every component of the DTs system, noticed that the fault would occur most often when making a sharp right turn. Investigative power steering but everything was working there. Decided to change battery to engine ground wire since it passes through the loom to the motor and is subject to movement when steering. Replaced the 10-foot 1/0 cable. Everything works fine now. Stripped the old battery cable. Countless broken strands and corrosion about two feet from the engine. Fairly heavy. Could not see any signs of corrosion through the insulation. Terminal ends looked fine. Hope this helps if anyone else has a problem.
thunderstruck

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2018, 10:03:34 am »

Good Info.  Thanks for the follow up!
RIB850
Contributor

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2019, 03:06:43 pm »

Jarhead67, thanks for your post... and your perseverance!!!!
Im now suffering the exactly same problems in a single 350 HP from 2016, with 300 hrs, with the most modern DTS. In my case the problem appears absolutly not linked with any movement or action, or rpm or nothing that I can connect or link with.
An absolutly random problem.
When it appears on firsts times I was really concerned ... but now, after 100 times it has appeared in the last 50 hrs, Ive learned that must be a sensor malfunction or something similar; I just switch off the engine, restart in 1 or 2  seconds and the problem is off; sometimes for minutes, other times for hours or days o hundred or miles...... no patern at all.
So my surprise when I read that you just have changed the battry wires!!!!!!!!. Your investigation shows me the parts that probably are not neccesary to be changed.....
Thanks for that and if you have any news about the problem and how to fix it I should appreciate very much your comments.
Regards

RIB850
Contributor

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2019, 03:30:17 pm »

This is the fail alarm

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: