We are a group of Verado owners from all over the world that encourage the free exchange of information about the Verado engine. We are not affiliated with Mercury Marine and accept no advertising. We strictly exist from members contributions.
If you would like to join our group all we ask is that you register. If you want to join the contributor board, see the message down below in the free discussion area which explains the benefits of that section.
Your source for Verado Information
August 23, 2019, 09:18:46 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: CLICK HERE to become a contributor and gain access to the Expert section. PROBLEMS? email me at glenersly@mac.com-DO NOT CONTACT PAYPAL

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Verado Hours  (Read 431 times)
Monster12Valve

« on: June 11, 2019, 04:56:38 pm »

Hi everyone,

I just bought a new to me boat with a 275 Verado. I bought it with 900 hours. Runs and operates great. Question is... Is it possible for it to be wired to were as soon as i put the battery switch on... It starts counting hours? I have had the boat out 3 times, mostly drifting less than a mile offshore and the smartgauge says i have put 11 hours on it so far, which seems impossible. When i turn on the battery switch nothing happens until i turn the key... The fuel pump doesnt run and smart gauge doesnt come on. Is possible for the pcm to be coming on?
Glen
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2019, 05:05:51 pm »

Are you saying the engine is accumulating hours on the meter when the engine is not on?

And why is your key left on to drift with engine off? If you say it so your depthmeter and other things are gonna be running, then you are wired totally wrong,  all that stuff should be on a house battery.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2019, 05:12:39 pm by Glen » Logged

Welcome! Please search First, no problem is really new, also motor year and hours when posting
Monster12Valve

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2019, 05:18:45 pm »

Thank you for the reply. No key Is off when drifting. The motor is on its own battery, key is off... But battery switch for motor is on. I cruise down river, go out about a mile and drift (fishing) with key off. I have done this 3 times since having the boat and the smart gauge says i have 11 hours on it since i bought it. I never leave the key on if the motor isnt running.
Glen
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2019, 05:23:24 pm »

Then you need to have a marine electrician look at how youíre wired. You arenít wired correctly.

Welcome! Please search First, no problem is really new, also motor year and hours when posting
Monster12Valve

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2019, 05:55:40 pm »

Looking at the wiring diagram, my issue would be impossible. Its all 12v constant and weather pak connectors.... Including the mercury ignition. With zero drains on the battery with key off. I will do some more troubleshooting tomorrow and report back... Incase any body else has this issue and doesn't want to just take it to the dealer.
Len R

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2019, 07:03:07 pm »

Not possible....Motor needs to be running for hrs. to register...If you plug into a lap top it will give you the hrs. and RPM's breakdown for the hrs.

Boston Whaler 210 Outrage / L4 - 200 Rev.4
Monster12Valve

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2019, 07:04:52 pm »

Thats not true. Key on... Will run hours. Or if the pcm is powered some how with key off.
Glen
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2019, 07:52:34 pm »

The hours are generated by the engine computer. If the computer is energized with switch off, there is a mis-wiring problem.

Charlie

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2019, 06:33:40 pm »

The PCM will NOT log hours unless the engine is running

Merc Certified since 1982
USCG Licensed 100 Ton Master
MASTER VERADO CERTIFIED TECH
Len R

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2019, 09:14:23 pm »

Thanks Charlie....

Boston Whaler 210 Outrage / L4 - 200 Rev.4
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print