We are a group of Verado owners from all over the world that encourage the free exchange of information about the Verado engine. We are not affiliated with Mercury Marine and accept no advertising. We strictly exist from members contributions.
If you would like to join our group all we ask is that you register. If you want to join the contributor board, see the message down below in the free discussion area which explains the benefits of that section.
Your source for Verado Information
February 20, 2019, 05:53:15 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: CLICK HERE to become a contributor and gain access to the Expert section. PROBLEMS? email me at glenersly@mac.com

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vessel View 703 - General Questions  (Read 2689 times)
thejat

« on: January 09, 2018, 10:51:54 pm »

Short Version
  • Which, if any, navigation cards does the Vessel View 703 support?
  • Does the Vessel View 703 have a traditional sonar functionality?
  • If your Vessel View goes down, can you still start your motor and get home?

Longer Version (after also calling Mercury)
I have never seen or used a Vessel View.  Neither has the dealer I spoke with who is brining a new 189 ProV GL in with a Vessel View 703 and a 200 Verado (L6).  In very general conversations with them the assumption is that the Vessel View takes the place of your Smart Craft Gauges, Chart Plotter, and Sonar.  However, I wanted to fully understand its functionality.  I did not find much here on the forum (maybe I am searching wrong terms) and the manuals (https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/ca/gauges-and-controls/gauges-displays/vesselview/software/) for Vessel View don't seem to provide a clear answer to my general questions. Hence, I called Mercury and asked if the Vessel View provides sonar functionality.  They said no.  I told them that the build sheet for the boat has a specific line item called "Upgrade Vessel View To Total Scan Transducer", so there must be some functionality or relationship to sonar.  They said no.  At that point I did not bother to ask them anything else.

I then looked at the manual which shows two sonar connection ports.  Hence I am a little confused and would love any insight to my questions listed above.
Glen
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2018, 10:55:58 pm »

Did you google? This says it does:

https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/us/news/mercury-marine-introduces-next-gen-vesselview-703-at-2017-miami-international-boat-show/

Welcome! Please search First, no problem is really new, also motor year and hours when posting
thejat

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2018, 11:27:29 pm »

Now that you mention it. I think I have may have a while back!  It actually probably triggered my question to Mercury. 

In particular, that annoucement mentions "Built-in features include a 10Hz GPS and chart plotter capability (regional electronic chart cards purchased separately)" and "VesselView 703 also has an integrated echosounder and true dual-channel CHIRP, making it an essential fishing companion".

At first crack, Mercury could really not provide support information on either (maybe I will call back and try to get someone else).  Also, I found it strange that the online user manuals had nothing about using sonar.

Just hoping someone hear might be able to comment based on direct expecerince using the product.
maxred

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2018, 05:09:24 pm »

it is very difficult to get technical support on the Mercury vessel view product line. i started first with certified mercury dealer for verados. when i asked how to recall max speed and rpm, the technician asks what is a "vessel view." since i have a technical contact at Mercury racing, i asked them the same ?. they new what vessel view is and told me with some authority that top speed recall does not exist. i have since found that max speed can be viewed by depressing the section on a screen where MPH is shown. there does not appear to be a peak RPM function but i will continue to search.

i think Mecury needs to hold training classes for certified dealers. also, part of the problem is that is is really a Garmin product. i think that contacting their customer support may result in more knowledge.
BrokenRudder.com

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2018, 02:17:12 am »

I better step in and help clear up a few things.

The VesselView 703 is:

-A Simrad (Navico) product - nothing in the product line is Garmin.
-The display is specifically a relabeled NSS7 EVO3 - 100% feature complete
-Supports the newer black connector Navico/Simrad/Lowrance transducers
-Requires a VesselView Link (Multi if you have 2 or more engines)
-The display and link both need to be wired into a NMEA2000 network

Hope this helps!

MASTER VERADO TECH
apecs

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2019, 05:55:02 pm »

I get the same run-around. My original vessel view (8m0029457) has a bad led screen. I want to replace it, but they are obsolete and not available. I was looking to purchase the vv703 (because it should fit in the same hole),  but all the connections and harnesses are different!  I donít need the plotter, gps, sonor functions; i just use it for my Engine data (twin 300Vís, 2009).
Has anyone had to replace a 1st gen. Vessel view?  Does anyone know where I could buy one or get my LED screen fixed.
$2400.00 for a VV703 plus installation of a complete setup is crazy!  Seems like the VV703 is not worth the effort, especially if you canít get any support.

Fred
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: