We are a group of Verado owners from all over the world that encourage the free exchange of information about the Verado engine. We are not affiliated with Mercury Marine and accept no advertising. We strictly exist from members contributions.
If you would like to join our group all we ask is that you register. If you want to join the contributor board, see the message down below in the free discussion area which explains the benefits of that section.
Your source for Verado Information
May 21, 2019, 04:49:42 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: CLICK HERE to become a contributor and gain access to the Expert section. PROBLEMS? email me at glenersly@mac.com-DO NOT CONTACT PAYPAL

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ALERT: 2005-06 6 cyl Owners: The T-stat dump fitting...Please check yours....  (Read 53266 times)
Glen
Administrator

« on: March 09, 2008, 01:07:33 pm »

If you have a 2005 or early 2006 6 cyl motor, the next time you take it in, have them check the thermostat dump fitting. MERC HAS NOT SENT ANYTHING OUT ON THIS TO THE DEALERS BUT SHOULD. It is a part that is at the end of the tube running from the t-stat to the exhaust for the water after it's thru the t-stat. It's below the big computer on the rght side of the motor. It can corrode and break, spitting saltwater on the engine and wiring. Not good. It was changed to bronze in 2006 so no worries for 06's and above.....Most techs will check it at the 100 hour checks but some will not...now you know. It's a $15 part and some techs will tell you they have to remove the pwerhead to replace it - not true...it can be done, involves collapsing the fitting and snaking it out with pliers,  takes about 45 min to do. The way you can tell if the fitting is ready to destruct is the hose will be swelled at the connector.  Here are the part #'s of the bronze replacement.

dump fitting
22-896213 fitting / 25-846594 o-ring

REMEMBER THIS IS ONLY 2005-06 6 CYL MOTORS
and no, this will not be a recall as it only happens to a very small amt of motors, it depends on that specific part and the composition of the saltwater you are in, yours, most likely, is fine...

but ask our member Marty C here:

http://www.veradoclub.com/smf/index.php?topic=887.0

and seaclip here:

http://www.veradoclub.com/smf/index.php?topic=746.0

And here is the corroded one that fell apart getting it out of marty's engine:

new ones on the our parts site here:

http://www.veradoclubparts.com/Fitting_p/dmpftupg.htm
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 04:52:12 pm by Glen » Logged

Welcome! Please search First, no problem is really new, also motor year and hours when posting
Glen
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2012, 01:38:08 pm »

Welcome! Please search First, no problem is really new, also motor year and hours when posting
FountainVerado

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 07:47:07 pm »

Please help with part number for the hose that runs to it??
Didnt see it on Andys parts page...
Tks! Huh?

A Fountain is like a good woman...
She rides best, up on top!
StrikeZone

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2014, 01:12:00 pm »

Yep. Happened to me with my 2005 225. Spraying water into the cowling, the entire connect was toast. Had to have it bored out and removed, replaced with the new bronze fitting. Seemed like a silly way to design the thing in the first place.

1,100 dollars later....  Sad
Duffy

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2015, 06:35:57 pm »

Ahhh.... Glen, Glad you have the big floating capital letters - this is for 6 cylinder motors only.  Mine is a 4 cylinder.  One less worry!  Thanks, Duffy
FishHunt

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2016, 09:35:42 pm »

Could you provide a little more info on the method of removing the fitting?
Will have to provide this guidance to my mechanic.
FishHunt

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2016, 09:02:29 am »

I spoke to Mercury support yesterday.
Current Dump fitting part number is 885516004. Mercury is adamant in that they do not have any proceedure to remove this fitting without pulling the power head.
My engines have a crate date of 03/2006 so I am concerned.
Please provide a link or resource where I could get the procedure for the 45min. removal of the fitting as you described.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 10:43:34 am by FishHunt » Logged
zigzag930
Contributor

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2019, 09:07:46 pm »

I realize this is an older post, but I just acquired a late 2006  200 Verado and would like to check this part.

Are there any photos or diagrams showing where this part is located and how to remove it?

Thanks
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: