We are a group of Verado owners from all over the world that encourage the free exchange of information about the Verado engine. We are not affiliated with Mercury Marine and accept no advertising. We strictly exist from members contributions.
If you would like to join our group all we ask is that you register. If you want to join the contributor board, see the message down below in the free discussion area which explains the benefits of that section.
Your source for Verado Information
August 16, 2017, 07:42:06 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: CLICK HERE to become a contributor and gain access to the Expert section. PROBLEMS? email me at glenersly@mac.com

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bad Power Trim Leak on 06 150hp  (Read 125 times)
jstarzy

« on: August 11, 2017, 11:22:51 pm »

Hi Glenn and all...I searched but didn't find any similar problems....

I have a 2006 Verado 150 on a 2006 BW 205 Conquest. The power trim system is leaking badly below the waterline below the base of the trim motor next to the starboard trim cylinder. It leaked so much after using the system normally during a 2-hour or so ride that it could no longer lift the outboard out of the water. After getting some help to manually lift the motor up on to the trailer bracket at the dock, I could see pinkish fluid spewing lightly below the waterline when I engaged the pump, below and just starboard of the starboard trim cylinder.

I've looked at the service manual and the parts diagram and there appears to be a "PO Check Kit" that fits below the the motor base housing in this area but there seems to be no other couplings, tubes or fittings nearby. It's difficult to see what's going on with the boat in the water other than the spewing of the pinkish trim fluid.

The boat is in the water in Red Bank, NJ. Any help with what's broken and a suggestion for a fix would be much appreciated. DIY or at a shop.

Thanks. Jim.
massbay
Global Moderator
Veteran

« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2017, 08:51:19 am »

Salt water? Left in the water all season? 12 yrs old.
If you don't change the power trim anode every season the stainless tilt pin will corrode the piston base and the oil squirts out past the O rings.
If that's the problem replace don't try to repair.

MASTER VERADO CERTIFIED TECH
jstarzy

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2017, 11:03:09 am »

Massbay....

Thanks for your note....much appreciated!

A couple of things:

Yes...saltwater docking it's whole life. I've owned the boat for 2-1/2 seasons. Anode was in good shape this spring, I replaced it this season, regardless.

Anyway...

So...you are thinking the housing at the base of the starboard trim cylinder has corroded through? There is nothing else like a tube or fitting to repair?

I presume when you say replace it means replacing the entire trim assembly (reservoir, 3 cylinders, motor, housing) a $1300 part + labor? Is it worth looking for a used assembly?

And...it seems per the service manual that this can be done without taking the motor off the boat?

Is this all correct?

If so, any estimate on how long a job?

Thanks so much...Jim.
massbay
Global Moderator
Veteran

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2017, 12:17:41 pm »

1st verify thats the problem.
if it is corrosion the new o rings wont last very long before they fail.
usually it's leaking out the base of the center cyl.
Yes the repair can be done without removing the motor.
The stbd transom clamp does have to be removed.
How long? a couple of hours if everything goes right.

MASTER VERADO CERTIFIED TECH
Len R
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2017, 03:30:43 pm »

Excatly what happened to me... Had to replace ....Not cheap!

Boston Whaler 210 Outrage / L4 - 200 Rev.4
jstarzy

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2017, 04:33:42 pm »

Len...thanks.

Exactly what was broken and what needed to be replaced? I presume the boat needed to be out of the water for the repair? Did you use a local shop to Sandy Hook...I'm right there, too, in Monmouth County. Can you give me an idea of cost?

Thanks...Jim.
Len R
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2017, 08:37:01 pm »

Cost me 1400.00 and yes it does need to come out of the water....I take it to Fins marine on RT 46 in Lodi....He is a friend of mine for over 40 yrs. and has two great cert. tech's.....I bought the motor from him back in 08. I live in Lodi and have a summer place down in Highlands. There is a pin or tube at the bottom that Glen mentioned and it carries fluid...It just corroded and rotted out and I change the anoids every yr. If it was repairable, they would have fixed it for me but he said it wouldn't last a yr. Anglers on 36 S. in Sea Bright could probably do it...He is a merc dealer however not a cert. Verado dlr....The trim on the L4 can be done by any tech...Same trim as the Opti's....The L6 is very different.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 08:45:28 pm by Len R » Logged

jstarzy

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2017, 09:07:24 pm »

Thanks Len...great info. I have a call in to Steve's Mobile in the Atlantic Highlands. He services a lot of neighbor boats at my marina. Thanks for the tip on Anglers. Good back up.

Jim.
Len R
Global Moderator

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2017, 11:52:32 am »

Steve is good and should have no problem replacing your trim....

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: