We are a group of Verado owners from all over the world that encourage the free exchange of information about the Verado engine. We are not affiliated with Mercury Marine and accept no advertising. We strictly exist from members contributions.
If you would like to join our group all we ask is that you register. If you want to join the contributor board, see the message down below in the free discussion area which explains the benefits of that section.
Your source for Verado Information
June 02, 2020, 05:39:07 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: CLICK HERE to become a contributor and gain access to the Expert section. PROBLEMS? email me at glenersly@mac.com-DO NOT CONTACT PAYPAL

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Verado Upgrade  (Read 11507 times)
danature01

« on: July 24, 2015, 11:52:45 am »

I have a Verado 250. I had my ECU recalibrated to 330 by Simon Motor Sports. Does anyone know if a 350sci lower unit can fit that engine, and if so, can I expect any difference in performance? I'm interested in knowing because the 250 has a 1:85 gear ratio and the 300 has a 1:75 gear ratio. So it would appear that if I upgrade my ECU to a little more than 300, then upgrading the lower unit should improve the performance of the engine as well if only a little. Any takers on this?
massbay
Veteran

« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2015, 05:20:04 pm »

Not necessarily. If you have a light fast boat the big gearcase will probably hurt your performance.
 The small gearcase will not handle 330 hp on a big fat boat.

MASTER VERADO CERTIFIED TECH
danature01

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2015, 07:24:55 pm »

Thanks. My boat is 1875lbs before people gear and fuel.
Fplcman

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2015, 09:10:56 am »

Did you see any improvement? I have a 2015 250 and I am thinking about doing it over the winter. I have a pontoon (Tri) about 4000 pounds. The dealer told me if they put the 300 on my boat they would upgrade to the prop to the 19 from the 17.
thunderstruck

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2015, 11:09:44 am »

Recommendations for lower units with hp upgrades:

1.  Use smallest pitch prop, 3 blade and let the max rpm go to the top of the recommended range.  (Lowers torque on the lower unit.)
2.  Don't hammer the throttle getting on plane. (This is a biggie.) Even use the tabs if you have them if your boat is hard to get on plane. 
3.  Accelerate slowly from low rpms.
4.  Don't bark the prop under power.  Chop the throttle if prop comes out of the water in rough seas i.e. do not reenter the water under power like ocean racers do. Minimize prop coming out of the water anyway.
5.  Minimize time at WOT.  Not a huge deal but part of the plan.
6.  Change the lower unit oil more frequently.

I don't think you will have a problem.  The bigger gear case will reduce the efficiency (Raise %slip) of your setup nullifying a big % of your performance increase.
danature01

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2015, 04:31:08 pm »

Thanks for the info. Yes I have seen about a 3 to 5 mph improvement since recalibrating my ecu. I've also learned that the prop matters. I went on mercurymarine.com, and went into their prop selector. Selecting the boat that was closest to mine and putting in all my engine info, and using the weight to determine the best props for my boat really worked. For eg; if you have 2- 19p props, and they recommend one out of the two, the one they recommend will give you a much better performance.
dutchalbee

*let's vera-do*

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2015, 05:35:02 pm »

Please keep us informed, we want to do the same with an 250.
 But to be honest i had expectet something more.
Yes, correct propping is very important, it can make easy a 5-6 knot more or less and sometime you must try something.
When you can find a dealer not to far away,maybe you may try diff props.
Succes Cheesy

seafox216cc/250-2007/rev4/21*
danature01

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2015, 06:53:45 pm »

Here is the thing. When I first got my ECU done, I was expecting at least 10 to 12 mph more. I called the rep from Simon Motor Sports and gave them my results, and expressed how disappointed I was. The first thing they asked is if I was using 91 and above octane. This is because any of their Verados above 250 would need a higher octane to perform at it max hp. Next they said because the engine is not one of Mercury racing engines, the improvements won't be that big. So basically the best I could look forward to was between 3 to 5 to maybe 7mph, depending on fuel weight and props. They said changing the lower unit with a gear ratio of a 1.85 to a 1.75 HD would give me a little more top end, but the question was if I wanted to spend the money just for a little more. I know that Simon Motor Sports know their stuff, because just about everyone on scream n fly uses them, but I just like to get second opinions.
thunderstruck

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2015, 10:05:40 pm »

Welcome to the wonderful world of high performance. At least you didn't slow down.  Cheesy
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: