We are a group of Verado owners from all over the world that encourage the free exchange of information about the Verado engine. We are not affiliated with Mercury Marine and accept no advertising. We strictly exist from members contributions.
If you would like to join our group all we ask is that you register. If you want to join the contributor board, see the message down below in the free discussion area which explains the benefits of that section.
Your source for Verado Information
June 17, 2019, 02:45:57 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: CLICK HERE to become a contributor and gain access to the Expert section. PROBLEMS? email me at glenersly@mac.com-DO NOT CONTACT PAYPAL

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2007 Verado 150 won’t start - Fuel Float?  (Read 2396 times)
nd67

« on: June 23, 2013, 07:26:22 pm »

I have a 2007 Verado 150 that won't start.  It began when I had water in the fuel, I emptied out the Racor filter several times trying to start the motor after each empty.  This morning I changed the Mercury onboard filter (red) and drained the filter holder, before changing (as per the owners manual) I pressed the fuel vapor relief valve but there was very little air in the system.  After trying all day to start the motor I once again removed the Mercury onboard filter to see if fuel was getting to the motor, when I removed it the filter was bone dry – just as it was when I installed it this morning.  Also, there was zero air in the fuel system when I pressed the fuel vapor relief valve.  I tried turning the key on then off then on then off but all I get is the initial beep, then after a few seconds I get a long 5 second beep and “Check Engine” appears on my SmartCraft Gauge. 

Wanted to check with you guys to see if I’m missing anything.  Am I supposed to be priming the fuel system after I change the red fuel separator filter?  From searches on this site I keep coming across the fuel float – could that be the culprit?

Thanks,

Nick
Glen
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2013, 08:32:31 pm »

if the float has never been changed, that's where I'd start..

Welcome! Please search First, no problem is really new, also motor year and hours when posting
Winchman

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2019, 04:59:56 am »

if the float has never been changed, that's where I'd start..

I have had the same problem IE 150 L4 won’t start. Float switch changed but actually that seemed okay. However when I changed the float switch the fuel reference pipe (small black rubber pipe in the fsm) was broken at one end and ridged instead of soft. I have changed both parts now.

Can an anyone help with advice about how I should go about priming the fuel system before I first try to start the engine?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 05:23:36 am by Winchman » Logged
Glen
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2019, 12:47:53 pm »

Turn on the ignition so the fuel pump is working and you can hear it, then wait 20 seconds and press the bicycle tire valve on the fuel rail until it spritzes gas. Also known as a Schrader valve.

Welcome! Please search First, no problem is really new, also motor year and hours when posting
Winchman

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2019, 02:34:58 am »

Thanks Glen,

My problem initially is the rib has an internal tank and no pump from that tank.  The fuel/water separator and the FSM were empty of fuel so ignition key wouldn’t help as the LP pump in the FSM had nothing to suck on. 

I solved it by fitting an in line hand bellow fuel pump. This was able to pump the fuel through the fuel filter and into the FSM.  I knew it was getting to the FSM as I removed the drain plug from the bottom of the FSM.

With the drain plug refitted and another 5 pumps of the bellows to fill the FSM I then followed your advice.  The Verado purred into life af the first turn of the key after years of standing. Thanks for the tip with the Schroeder valve.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2019, 02:36:26 am by Winchman » Logged
Glen
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2019, 04:03:48 am »

Try and get through the first couple pages of the library…

http://www.veradoclub.com/index.php?topic=1044.0

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: