We are a group of Verado owners from all over the world that encourage the free exchange of information about the Verado engine. We are not affiliated with Mercury Marine and accept no advertising. We strictly exist from members contributions.
If you would like to join our group all we ask is that you register. If you want to join the contributor board, see the message down below in the free discussion area which explains the benefits of that section.
Your source for Verado Information
October 14, 2019, 11:26:46 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: CLICK HERE to become a contributor and gain access to the Expert section. PROBLEMS? email me at glenersly@mac.com-DO NOT CONTACT PAYPAL

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Burning or Making oil  (Read 17572 times)
Glen
Administrator

« on: March 08, 2008, 09:46:18 am »

BURNING/MAKING OIL

If you don't want to burn oil, do the following

1. read how to check the oil in owner's tips
2. Only fill to where you are in the bottom 25% of the hash marks on the stick
3. Never tilt your engines up if you do not have to
4. If they were tilted, wait 5 min before starting - 10 min if you can...

I have never burned a drop in 725 hours....however merc says they CAN burn 1 quart per 200 gallons of gas used if you tilt all the time in storage, etc...

But..

DO NOT OVERFILL
DO NOT OVERFILL
DO NOT OVERFILL
DO NOT OVERFILL

GET IT?

Now if the opposite is happening and you are "making oil" - getting a rise in the dipstick:

making oil happens in 4 strokes that usually are not broken in correctly and the rings are not seated correctly or there is a stuck ring from too much carbon. here' s the way to treat this problem:
1. change your oil
2. take it out and run it hard (WOT) under load at least 5 min everytime you go out.
3. run quikleen or Ringfree for a few tanks...
4. Try not to troll too much and don't baby it - run it above 4000 as much as you can.
5. In frigid water (below 40 degrees), it is vital you run above 5000 for a few minutes before docking to burn off the condensation accumulated during trolling....
6. a bad thermostat - either oil or water can cause the engine to run cold and then the motor overcompensates by injecting too much gas in the cyl's and it runs into the crankcase. If you are not creating at least 140 degrees at cruise in normal temp water , you could have this problem. Oil temp has got to be above 180 and should be above 200 at WOT.

this usually happens when people "baby" the break in....

if it is coming up quick - like in one tank - it's a leak in the fuel delivery system or leaky injector..
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 10:37:21 pm by Glen » Logged

Welcome! Please search First, no problem is really new, also motor year and hours when posting
chrisawol

« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2017, 05:51:45 am »

Hi Glen,

Finding conflicting info on wether to tilt motors while in my slip to save the props  and motors and paint job vs don't tilt because of the oil issue.  SO which one is it. should I tilt up when not using and then tilt down and let sit 10 mins before starting up, as you recommend?
Glen
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2017, 11:13:01 am »

If you can possibly do it, store the engines completely straight up and down. If you can't then just don't tilt radically, just tilt up enough to get them out of the water and then put them back down before you start ....wait five minutes before you trigger it.

Welcome! Please search First, no problem is really new, also motor year and hours when posting
chrisawol

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2017, 06:49:43 am »

Thanks again Glen.

Just getting my motors painted and want to save the paint job as long as possible

Bobh

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2019, 01:27:24 pm »

I have new 2018 250 Verado and they are both using a lot of oil.  Both engines nearly the same.  I check and fill to the book and use Mercury synthetic as specified.  I cruise about 4500 and run in low speed zones typical amount of time.  Mercury tells me burning 1 qt to 100 gallons of fuel is normal.  My friends seem to run same as me and go 100 hrs and do not add.  ThAt is double what I read in here.   I currently have 96 hours on motors.  Changed oil at 36 hours and have added about 2.5 quarts since per engine over about 60 hours.  I am frustrated but it is strange because both engines are the same so does not appear to be an engine problem.  Any ideas or comments.  Boat is stored in dry stack with engines down.  Mercury says most people make oil and burn oil with the end result being little change in level between changes. 
chico

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2019, 02:01:32 am »

This is the first time I have heard of both engines having the same oil burning scenario. Makes me question if the oil check or filling oil procedure is not the cause for same results. There is plenty of info in the library on checking and filling oil, also with storing and so on. Just saying it could be something simple that is being overlooked...Chico...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: