We are a group of Verado owners from all over the world that encourage the free exchange of information about the Verado engine. We are not affiliated with Mercury Marine and accept no advertising. We strictly exist from members contributions.
If you would like to join our group all we ask is that you register. If you want to join the contributor board, see the message down below in the free discussion area which explains the benefits of that section.
Your source for Verado Information
August 23, 2019, 09:27:13 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: CLICK HERE to become a contributor and gain access to the Expert section. PROBLEMS? email me at glenersly@mac.com-DO NOT CONTACT PAYPAL

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ken's engine height post  (Read 13979 times)
Glen
Administrator

« on: March 08, 2008, 09:22:00 am »

Lifted from Ken's site - but great nonetheless - don't even bother trying to play with props if your motor is not at the correct height and throw out all those rulers trying to figure out if your motor is 1 inch above/beliw the pad/hull, etc. Here's the real way to tell if your motor is at the correct height. And don't kid yourdelf, most mfr's will mount the engine too low (caled "burying" the motor). Why? becasue it's safer on turns and less chance of litigation from some idiot that spins out. My Wellcraft was delivered almost 4 inches too low - when Joey and I finsihed remounting and repropping, we got 7 MORE MPH than the stock mounting/prop. Here's ken's thoughts. I forgive him for using "brand E".....

This is a before and after shot of a customer that raised his engines 1 hole because they were too low. The Brave fella that hung over the back to take these pictures is "The Pig" on TheHullTruth.com (Thanks) Looking at the first picture, you can't see the antivent/anticavitation plate. Its under the surface and has whitewater rushing over it. This steals speed, rpm, and economy from you because of the added drag of the engines. It can also cause other issues like porposing easily, and too much bowrise during holeshot In the second picture you can see the antivent/anticavitation plate riding right on the surface of the water. It may have a little splash coming over it every now and then, but thats all. I believe he gained a couple mph and a little economy. Every boat is different. I've seen people gain 3mph from a 1 hole change, and i've seen people gain nothing. If you go TOO high, you'll ventilate the props easily, and possibly loose speed. These pictures are taken with the motor trim and speed the same in both.
Too low:

Correct height:

See Ken's site at propgods.com - there is no one better regarding props - that's why he's our expert in the contributor forum here...
« Last Edit: March 08, 2008, 07:46:21 pm by glen e » Logged

Welcome! Please search First, no problem is really new, also motor year and hours when posting
240 LTS

« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2008, 02:01:48 am »

Hope this is not a stupid question. When "checking" the plate height in relationship to the water rushing by, at what trim level should the motor be? Am I correct to go WOT and have the trim at the place I get the most speed within the high RPM range, then check?
05, Triton 240 LTS bay boat, 3200 lbs, 05 V 250 hp, 17" Mirage (I know not the best one) no jack plate, = just under 50 mph.
Suggestions on the jack plate size? Prop size and Mfg? I don't mean to side track this thread. Thanks.

Capt. Jeff Streett
Triton 240 LTS,
2005- Gen I- 250 "V"
Bob's 4" Versa-Jac
19 Rev4,
Upper Chesapeake Bay
Light Tackle
Glen
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2008, 02:07:25 am »

Hope this is not a stupid question. When "checking" the plate height in relationship to the water rushing by, at what trim level should the motor be? Am I correct to go WOT and have the trim at the place I get the most speed within the high RPM range, then check?
05, Triton 240 LTS bay boat, 3200 lbs, 05 V 250 hp, 17" Mirage (I know not the best one) no jack plate, = just under 50 mph.
Suggestions on the jack plate size? Prop size and Mfg? I don't mean to side track this thread. Thanks.

the plate should be looked at with normal trim, at normal cruise with a med/light load - meaning 50% of all tanks and 2 people on board...it's not an exact thing..you just wanna make sure the sucker is not buried in the flow...if so,think about it - as you trim it out , it'll act like a sea anchor in terms of drag....

Welcome! Please search First, no problem is really new, also motor year and hours when posting
240 LTS

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2008, 02:50:32 am »

10-4, thanks Glen. Hey why are you still up? Catching up on all the post? I need to hit the sack soon, it's 1:50 am.

Capt. Jeff Streett
Triton 240 LTS,
2005- Gen I- 250 "V"
Bob's 4" Versa-Jac
19 Rev4,
Upper Chesapeake Bay
Light Tackle
Good Hook

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2008, 12:23:52 pm »

Below is a link to a picture that can serve as another example of proper engine height.

http://www.yellowfinyachts.com/32pics/YF_23_0047.jpg
Glen
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2008, 12:33:38 pm »

I am freezing this thread as all of this has morphed into a more complete document on engine height and propping in "the library" - written by Ken and myself. This thread is an early one that with a a bit of housekeeping should have removed a while ago....my bad

Please see:

http://www.veradoclub.com/smf/index.php?topic=137.0
« Last Edit: August 09, 2008, 04:05:17 pm by Glen E » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: