We are a group of Verado owners from all over the world that encourage the free exchange of information about the Verado engine. We are not affiliated with Mercury Marine and accept no advertising. We strictly exist from members contributions.
If you would like to join our group all we ask is that you register. If you want to join the contributor board, see the message down below in the free discussion area which explains the benefits of that section.
Your source for Verado Information
October 16, 2017, 09:50:09 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: CLICK HERE to become a contributor and gain access to the Expert section. PROBLEMS? email me at glenersly@mac.com

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2 "Dont's" when running Verados  (Read 19049 times)
Glen
Administrator

« on: January 14, 2011, 09:29:17 am »

1. All lower ends, no matter if they are Yam, Etec, Zuke or Merc are the weak link in an outboard system. There is a tremendous amount of power going thru some small components. You never want to act like an offshore racer as that's why they have a guy just for the throttles - because props that come out of the water and continue to be powered ( throttle kept open) start super spinning and then when you slam them back the water, they can screw up the lower end.  Imagine jacking up the back wheels on your car, and getting up to 60 mph and then dropping the car back on the asphalt - you would not have much transmission left. Same here. So leave the offshore racing/wave jumping to the pros and don't "bark" the motors - meaning letting the props leave the water.

2. If you have a 6 cylinder design verado, it means the lowest cylinder is near the water line. And for some reason, most mfrs mount 20 or 25 inch motors that put the engine low in the water - I think that's crazy, and love my 30 inch shafts, as my motors are out of the mist and froth and stay clean and dry. But there is one thing that can hurt you when mounted low. Don't "chop" the throttles when in cruise back down to zero. That means when you want to slow down to idle to fish, don't just yank the throttles back to neutral so the boat comes off plane so fast that the wake water comes slamming back into the motors and sometimes if the exact right conditions occur, (big wave & exhaust valve open), it can back up water into the lower cylinder. Like everything else in life, go easy when making changes.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 06:36:34 pm by Glen » Logged

Welcome! Please search First, also motor year and hours when posting
loco

« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2017, 08:12:04 am »

morning
Just curious reading about slowing down # 2 don't . I deep drop a lot and always back up in current and do get wave slapping back of motors. is this a problem.
thanks
Glen
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2017, 03:08:17 pm »

It can be ....if you go too fast in reverse and jam water into the lower cyl

Carlos G

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2017, 12:42:14 pm »

Hello folks ...first post so I may make some errors ...apologies in advance .
I have ordered and adapted new boat for my disabilities with twin  new 2oo verado s L4 fitted.
Delivery expected mid December 2017 ..i have read your great tips and running in advice and downloaded engine manual .  I have not had outboards before so am eager to get up to speed knowledge wise .The boat is a 29'cabin cruiser a boat 4300kgs .
I have some concerns about running engines in and talk of setting piston rings ....
Winter is will be well in in December and South coast English channel seas not so good at times .The procedures mention every ten minutes or so to increase rpm above the 4300  ...
Attaining 1 to 4 minutes WOT and above 4300 rpm would be very difficult for me given the sea state rec and my disabilities ...is it ok to slow down  or stop every every ten minutes or so and put engines  into  neutral , then increase rpm to set the piston rings as discussed . I know this might appear crazy question .but only had inboard diesels before and am excited about how these verado l4 200 will enable me ..but would like to get running / breaking in right.
Many thanks for any help and advice .
Carlos G  Hampshire England.
Glen
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2017, 12:55:02 pm »

That will be fine. Just do what you can. These engines are very strong and very capable, and donít have fragile break-in procedures.

Carlos G

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2017, 06:24:35 pm »

Hello
Many thanks for your response...as I was getting concerned about  trying to maintain rpm over 4300 even for short bursts ... boat would be doing over 30 knots  at those rpm, which would be a bit "intense" in a beamy family cruiser boat..in some of the Christmas  winter short steep seas  around here. But i will try raise the the rpm out of gear for bursts ( when engines fully warmed up) .during the break in period.
Looking forward to the boat delivery and commisioning of the twin 200 verados L4s .Brunswick have specified 4 blade vensura props and to ease my concentration burden, I have optioned the mercury auto trim electronics.
Great website forum ..loads of useful good relevant  information...well done all 
Thank you
Cg

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: