We are a group of Verado owners from all over the world that encourage the free exchange of information about the Verado engine. We are not affiliated with Mercury Marine and accept no advertising. We strictly exist from members contributions.
If you would like to join our group all we ask is that you register. If you want to join the contributor board, see the message down below in the free discussion area which explains the benefits of that section.
Your source for Verado Information
April 03, 2020, 07:51:13 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: CLICK HERE to become a contributor and gain access to the Expert section. PROBLEMS? email me at glenersly@mac.com-DO NOT CONTACT PAYPAL

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: motor turns over when in on position  (Read 7058 times)
geaux001

07 sea pro 2100/ 06 150

« on: April 01, 2008, 12:39:50 am »

What would cause the motor to turn over when switched to the "on" position.  Not the "start" but the "on"?  I took the boat out this past weekend and when I backed it down I got in to crank it.  Fine, let it run a minute then put it in reverse then it died.  I tried to restart, I put the key to the on position and it began to turn over by itself.  wouldn't start but just turn over.  Got it out of the water, sounded like it was flooded or something.  I finally got it to start and it ran fine all day, but it still would turn over in the on psition.
Glen
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2008, 10:14:55 am »

What would cause the motor to turn over when switched to the "on" position.  Not the "start" but the "on"?  I took the boat out this past weekend and when I backed it down I got in to crank it.  Fine, let it run a minute then put it in reverse then it died.  I tried to restart, I put the key to the on position and it began to turn over by itself.  wouldn't start but just turn over.  Got it out of the water, sounded like it was flooded or something.  I finally got it to start and it ran fine all day, but it still would turn over in the on psition.

wired wrong or bad key switch..it should NOT do that - go to the library section and read the "owner's tips" twice...

Welcome! Please search First, no problem is really new, also motor year and hours when posting
David Kuhlmann
Veteran

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2008, 10:19:57 am »

wired wrong or bad key switch..it should NOT do that - go to the library section and read the "owner's tips" twice...

Glen,

What about the start button on the control box? Couldn't that start button have been pressed accidentally or maybe stuck? Just a thought I did that once and it freaked me out. Then I figured out what happened and have not had it happen since.

David Kuhlmann

If you think you can or you think you can't your right!

2007 Lowe FM 185
2007 Verado 150 HP
Lowrance Electronics
Motorguide Wireless
BenL
Contributor

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2008, 01:11:38 pm »

I made a post titled "Don't let water get into your keyswitch".  I had a similar issue with my motor turning over AND starting when I would just key the switch to "ON" and not "START".  It was freaky.  I had water in my keyswitch and it would cause all sorts of shorts, from blowing the DTS fuse on the battery and causing my motor to stall.  Thankfully it was easy for me to access my keyswitch, hold it upside down, spray it out to get rid of the water and I was good to go.  I went one step further and put in a new keyswitch and now keep it covered when I hose down the boat and leave it when not in use to prevent any water getting in as mine is at an angle where if water gets in, it is not getting out as the keyswitch is closed off from behind not like the old ones that were open and could lose any water that might get in the keyhole.  One thing to check anyway.  I now keep my old keyswitch in the boat as a spare, all nice and dry and in perfect working condition.  $40, cheap. 

Dusky 233 Open Fisherman
2007 Single Verado 250
16x17P Enertia Eco
inspector62

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2008, 07:05:17 pm »

Bumping the key to the start position, even for a micro-second is the same as hitting the start button.  It will crank until it starts or you turn it off.  Maybe you bumped it into start by accident???  Next time you start your motor try it, just bump it into start and the motor will take over.  It's actually pretty cool.

I never hold my key in the start position, I always just bump it there briefly.

As to the stall in reverse, my Yamahas did that almost every time out when cold.  My Verado has only done it once.  You can disengage the throttle and rev the engine a little bit for a few seconds, that seems to help.

Every motor I've ever had has stalled on occasion when cold and first putting it into reverse.  My Yams would sometimes stall 2 or 3 times.

2008 24' SeaPro Bay boat 225 Verado.
David Kuhlmann
Veteran

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2008, 07:31:20 pm »

Bumping the key to the start position, even for a micro-second is the same as hitting the start button.  It will crank until it starts or you turn it off.  Maybe you bumped it into start by accident???  Next time you start your motor try it, just bump it into start and the motor will take over.  It's actually pretty cool.

I never hold my key in the start position, I always just bump it there briefly.

As to the stall in reverse, my Yamahas did that almost every time out when cold.  My Verado has only done it once.  You can disengage the throttle and rev the engine a little bit for a few seconds, that seems to help.

Every motor I've ever had has stalled on occasion when cold and first putting it into reverse.  My Yams would sometimes stall 2 or 3 times.

My 2007 150 never stalls on reverse when first starting. I live in central Iowa and have taken the boat out in quite cold temps as well as cold water temps. Never a problem. I usually only warm up the motor for one or two minutes 3-5 at most before taking off and have never had a stall problem.

David Kuhlmann

2007 Lowe FM 185
2007 Verado 150 HP
Lowrance Electronics
Motorguide Wireless
Glen
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2008, 08:58:40 pm »

I don't think the OP was talking about the method of starting, so we have digressed a bit. But after owning two sets of verados, I've never had a single stall no matter what temp the engine is. On the first trip we were on with the merc engineers we discussed this. Here is what they recceomended and I do:
1. strong batteries (13V)
2. waiting 5 -10 sec AFTER I hear the starting beep - a lot goes on before the start, mainly pressurizing of the fuel system. Then I bump it in the starting position and let go.  It is true you do not need to hold it there at all, it is automatic and it will decide how long to crank...it is also true that if you attempt to crank a running engine it will auto shut off.
3. starting and idling at least 5 min before taking off - I start them and let them warm while I stow stuff, take off covers etc
4. quikleen every other or 3rd tank so no carbon hinders the spark and combustion process..

and 700 hours on 4 motors with never a stall....
« Last Edit: April 01, 2008, 09:12:53 pm by glen e » Logged

Welcome! Please search First, no problem is really new, also motor year and hours when posting
inspector62

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2008, 09:17:37 pm »

No digression, I was referring to his first question.  He may have briefly bumped it to start by accident, which would cause the motor to turn over until it starts.  If someone didn't know about this feature it would seem like the key switch had shorted out or stuck.

David Kuhlmann
Veteran

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2008, 11:27:17 pm »

No digression, I was referring to his first question.  He may have briefly bumped it to start by accident, which would cause the motor to turn over until it starts.  If someone didn't know about this feature it would seem like the key switch had shorted out or stuck.

I think that is what I said on my first reply to this topic. At least that is what I was trying to say.  Grin

David Kuhlmann

2007 Lowe FM 185
2007 Verado 150 HP
Lowrance Electronics
Motorguide Wireless
inspector62

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2008, 11:53:32 pm »

Almost the same thing.  You referred to bumping the start button.  Even if you only instantaneously turn the key to the start position, it is the same as pushing the start button.  Try it some time.  I normally start my motor by bumping it to the start position for an instant and let the motor take over.

jdpelloquin

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2020, 07:38:18 pm »

Thanks guys cheap way to confirm my suspicion. Out of nowhere the motor would try to start and key was in "on" position, never went to start position. It rained the day before and must have gotten the key switch wet. Took it off, blew it with air compressor, let it dry overnight and reinstalled it. Works like new now. Will make shift a cover and probably buy a new one since this is the original from 2007 and keep it as as a backup bc I know I will get caught out fishing in the rain again.

2007 Laguna Bay Boat 21' w/2007 Verado 150hp
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: