We are a group of Verado owners from all over the world that encourage the free exchange of information about the Verado engine. We are not affiliated with Mercury Marine and accept no advertising. We strictly exist from members contributions.
If you would like to join our group all we ask is that you register. If you want to join the contributor board, see the message down below in the free discussion area which explains the benefits of that section.
Your source for Verado Information
August 06, 2020, 09:42:22 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: CLICK HERE to become a contributor and gain access to the Expert section. PROBLEMS? email me at glenersly@mac.com-DO NOT CONTACT PAYPAL

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Verado DTS "Clean Power" why is this direct to battery?  (Read 251 times)
zigzag930

« on: July 27, 2020, 05:43:32 pm »

Can anyone answer why the DTS Clean power harness must be connected directly to the battery and not switched via the main battery switches?

Clearly there is a constant load on the DTS power, but I'm not sure what is drawing power.   Without the batteries being on a charger, this would eventually (30 days?) draw the start battery down.

Has anyone moved the "clean power" harness to the switched side of the selector switch?  It would seem that would make sense unless there is a memory somewhere that would get lost.  ECU?

I called Mercury and they could not provide an answer to this seemingly simple question.
Glen
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2020, 06:50:55 pm »

you can connect it to whatever power source you want to. The reason they do it is there’s very little drain, it keeps the memory in the smart craft instruments I believe, and other parts of the smart craft system. And the whole smart craft system is energized prior to Key start. This system is now over 15 years old, I imagine with the advancement in non-volital RAM for memory, it does not need power ,they might do it differently these days. Maybe somebody with a brand new V-8 can chime in.

Welcome! Please search First, no problem is really new, also motor year and hours when posting
zigzag930

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2020, 09:11:00 am »

Glen,

Thanks for the info.  I am tempted to move it so that it is only energized when my battery selector is turned on.

i was concerned about the possibility of volatile RAM or other memory and certainly didn't want to damage a working system.

FYI, this is a 2007 Verado 200 on a BW Outrage 210.  I am not the original owner, so I'm not sure how the original batteries were hooked up vs what I have now.

J
vince59

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2020, 11:40:55 am »

I have a 150HP 2007 and same wiring. In my opinion the requirement could be related to have the CPU continously connected to power supply so that when other ECUs are connected there is no lapse in reading signals. This makes sense to me. Someone told me not to leave the DTS or guages disconnected from power as the memory would reset...but this resulted to be not true. I disconnected the DTS the gauges left them with no power at all and when connected again no problem at all.
Never had troubles with battery drain.
JG

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2020, 02:15:10 pm »

When I am not using the boat, I always pull the fuse on the harness for the clean power connection. Because the parasitic draw will deplete your starting battery. Been doing this for years with my 400R with no issues. 
thunderstruck

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2020, 09:31:50 pm »

My brothers late model 350s clean power one  of trips was wired to the motor harness and not directly to the battery as prescribed. Guess which motor quit starting and had to be wired properly?

This site generally sticks with Merc guidance. Wire it however you want. You can disconnect the battery, drain the battery etc and the motor will fire right off when you do have power so.........
JG

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2020, 03:35:06 pm »

I tested this theory over the winter. 30 days with the fuse connected, brought the starting battery to 50%, 30 days with the fuse removed the starting battery stayed at 100%. So there seems to be a parasitic draw that accumulates over time from this connection.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 04:57:37 pm by Glen » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: