We are a group of Verado owners from all over the world that encourage the free exchange of information about the Verado engine. We are not affiliated with Mercury Marine and accept no advertising. We strictly exist from members contributions.
If you would like to join our group all we ask is that you register. If you want to join the contributor board, see the message down below in the free discussion area which explains the benefits of that section.
Your source for Verado Information
June 02, 2020, 04:02:56 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: CLICK HERE to become a contributor and gain access to the Expert section. PROBLEMS? email me at glenersly@mac.com-DO NOT CONTACT PAYPAL

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steering issue Too much play on one engine  (Read 444 times)
Al18r21

« on: May 14, 2020, 05:54:11 pm »

Hello everyone. I have twin 250hp vrods 2009 with no enigine tie. My system had a mercury installed valve on the transom. I believe its to adjust the engines. Valve work fine. My issue is that we the boat sits a few days my starboard engine is movable. I can swing it to the port side and then back to where it was. Port engine is tight doesnt move. I notice if i start and turn the steering there is a delay but then works fine.  If i shut off the engine and try to move it it will be tight for a few hours. I dont think this is normal. I dont see a leak anywhere. What can it be? I never noticed before.

Al18r21

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2020, 01:24:25 pm »

Update....

I just got on the boat to start the engines a bit and notice when i turn the wheel it was a little harder than usual and not turning correctly. So i went to check the power steering fluid and it was low and getting air. The problem is that i dont see any fluid leak anywhere. The motor case is dry inside. The cylinders look dry the hoses are dry. Wheres the fluid? Any help would be great.
Eagle1tx
Contributor

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2020, 10:29:15 pm »

Look around the bottom of the pivot on that motor. If you have two steering cylinders, you could have a leaking cylinder. I have one and a tie bar and blew the seals about a mile offshore and all the fluid leaked out but couldn't determine where the leak was until I got it on the trailer. SO, look at the bottom of the pivot tube that the motor steers on. Its in the center of the mounting bracket and see if your dripping a little oil out the bottom. Mine won't leak unless its locked in the up position for some reason.  When the seals ruptured on mine, It pumped dry, it filled the pivot up and it is still leaking to this day. It will not leave much of a sheen because the oil is environmental friendly and biodegradable.
Al18r21

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2020, 04:22:03 pm »

Thanks Eagle, did you repair it yourself? If so where can i get the spanner tool for the removal of the end caps? Seem like straight forward job.
Eagle1tx
Contributor

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2020, 07:18:37 pm »

The spanner wrench is STEERING CYLINDER SPANNER TOOL 91-8M0078614 8M0078614 google it and see where you can find one the cheapest.
Mercury VERADO Steering Cylinder Kit 8M0045604
« Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 07:26:07 pm by Eagle1tx » Logged
Al18r21

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2020, 09:41:44 pm »

Thanks again for the info.

Was it hard to change out. I heard sometimes those caps are on the pretty tight.
thunderstruck

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2020, 12:30:56 pm »

The caps are torqued to 200 lb ft torque. I used an impact to unscrew. Also need a 200 lb ft torque wrench to re-torque. If you get the seal kit the kit will have new mounting bolts. After you put that amount of torque on the mounting bolts from torquing the caps merc wants you to replace the bolts so you dont have a steering failure   
Al18r21

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2020, 08:53:56 pm »

Thanks for the info, thunder!!
Eagle1tx
Contributor

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2020, 10:02:21 pm »

The spanner wrench has a 3/4" socket fitting on it. I took it to my buddies shop and wrapped it in a rag and gently clamped it in his vice and used his 3/4" impact and it came off with ease. I put it back on and torqued it to 200 ft lbs. Ive see where they say you have to heat them up with a torch, and i'm not afraid to do so , but it frys the power coating and they look like crap. Try it without heat.
Al18r21

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2020, 06:49:08 pm »

Thanks. How does the spanner tool hold up? Is it tough enough?
Eagle1tx
Contributor

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2020, 01:22:51 am »

Yes sir , for the price you pay for the mercury label , it better hold up
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: