We are a group of Verado owners from all over the world that encourage the free exchange of information about the Verado engine. We are not affiliated with Mercury Marine and accept no advertising. We strictly exist from members contributions.
If you would like to join our group all we ask is that you register. If you want to join the contributor board, see the message down below in the free discussion area which explains the benefits of that section.
Your source for Verado Information
April 03, 2020, 08:34:06 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: CLICK HERE to become a contributor and gain access to the Expert section. PROBLEMS? email me at glenersly@mac.com-DO NOT CONTACT PAYPAL

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: '10 4 cylinder powerhead removal  (Read 178 times)
Barroosa@gmail.com

« on: March 21, 2020, 10:35:31 pm »

Oil leak, drive shaft seals seem to be leaking. Researched the issue extensively and looks like the seals under the powehead adapter are bad. Just bought the engine about 4-6 months ago and suspect it sat for a while before being sold. Have the seals, but cannot get the powerhead to release.

I have removed all the nuts on the studs, 6 main, 2 front, 2 back. Have removed the two horizontal bolts from the front. Have gone so far as to remove the studs completely from the block on the starboard side as it appears they could be binding.

The block appears to break away from the adapter all the way around, but is "stuck" and seems to pivot when hoisted, at the starboard rear of the block. The powerhead seems completely loose and detached except for this one point. From the service manual and videos I cannot identify what is holding on. The attached point is not along the mating edge. It is inboard from that, but toward the starboard rear. I suspect a mechanical fitting given the fact it will not budge even with extreme prying, pulling, rocking and levering, but there are no possible bolts we can see.

Any suggestions are much appreciated. At least 18 man hours by experienced mechanically inclined people and we are befuddled.

Barret
thunderstruck

« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2020, 08:54:48 am »

Does the service manual have a step by step procedure for removing a dressed powerhead??

The powerhead will come off if you have all the bolts/nuts removed.  There won't be any non-screw connections between the powerhead and the adapter plate.

The 6 cylinder service manual had a step by step procedure (51 steps).  I made a couple of mistakes but the process went as the procedure described.  My post detailing doing the same job on a 6 cylinder is in the contributor section.

thunderstruck

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2020, 11:11:24 am »

I scanned the 6 cylinder dressed powerhead removal procedure for nuts and bolts holding the PH to the adapter plate in order of removal:

2 screws by the dump fitting on the stbd side
2 front screws behind the shift actuator
2 aft nuts under the valve cover
(XX) nuts from the studs holding the powerhead to the adapter plate

don't know about the 4 cylinder. 

thunderstruck

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2020, 11:12:02 am »

Keep us updated.  Got to be something simple.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: