We are a group of Verado owners from all over the world that encourage the free exchange of information about the Verado engine. We are not affiliated with Mercury Marine and accept no advertising. We strictly exist from members contributions.
If you would like to join our group all we ask is that you register. If you want to join the contributor board, see the message down below in the free discussion area which explains the benefits of that section.
Your source for Verado Information
January 19, 2020, 06:44:26 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: CLICK HERE to become a contributor and gain access to the Expert section. PROBLEMS? email me at glenersly@mac.com-DO NOT CONTACT PAYPAL

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Power Steering Pump Rebuild  (Read 200 times)
Glen121288

« on: January 13, 2020, 09:10:51 am »

Hi all,

Was having an issue with the power steering pump intermittently cutting in and out.

I have completed the trouble shooting described in the below link with the correct voltages present.
Batteries 12.7v on smart craft and confirmed with multi meter and reading 14.4 when running.

Power was confirmed to the pump, these is also power through the driver module.
Does this mean I’m up for a new pump?? Has anyone successfully refurbished a pump assembly??

I did notice while testing the pump with the ignition in the on position (engine not running) the PS pump started. The pump stopped shortly afterwards, I thought the power steering pump required the ignition on and engine running before it attempted to start??

http://www.marinepartsexpress.com/Merc_Product_Bulletins/Power%20Steering%20Pump%20Module%20Electrical%20Troubleshooting%20%20Bulletin%20No.%202009-03.pdf

* 9342EBF7-213E-48C7-8AD2-CCC1D32A4AF7.jpeg (3002.06 KB, 4032x3024 - viewed 12 times.)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 12:22:23 am by Glen121288 » Logged
Glen121288

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2020, 08:45:03 pm »

I’ve pulled the gear pump, no signs of wear or component breakdown.
Bearing had no play present.

The capacitor in the picture has a burn/heat mark, perhaps this is the issue?

* 6D5054F6-B38E-416E-B1C4-8CBB85D1E25E.jpeg (2709.59 KB, 4032x3024 - viewed 23 times.)

* E5ED395C-AE84-4295-B4AD-5E66DE2B0752.jpeg (565.93 KB, 1575x2100 - viewed 16 times.)
MikeS

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2020, 12:16:05 pm »

Looking at the pictures it appears there is a lot of corrosion and that most likely has caused what your seeing along with others failures you don't see completely without disassembly. If you perform a search and go read the documents Glen has written in the owner's tips.
This is a quote from that document; "Also, some mfr’s are not using good sense and mounting this unit in a “wet” part of the boat – while the top is off this unit and you’re checking the fluid, spraying it with CRC or Corrosion Guard can’t hurt before you pop the top back on........Open the black top and inspect it, spray the whole thing with CRC-656 and check the bottom of the black housing for water puddling in there.
[/color][/color]
You will see the above is written in that document and with the corrosion you have it appears this was never done and water was allowed to get at the pump assembly.

06 Boston Whaler Outrage 240/06 250 Verado
Glen121288

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2020, 04:12:33 pm »

Yep, aware of those issues. Only had the boat 2 months, guessing the hatch that the pump is located in was left open in the past allowing the water ingress. I drilled drain holes to assist with drainage if it happened to get wet again, but this shouldn’t be the case.

The Ali motor/electrical card housing on the bottom is only sealed by silicon which has allowed water in.
Perhaps applying denso tape around this might provide an additional barrier?

Anyhow, I was wondering if anyone has successfully removed and rebuilt the electrical card??
I have voltage to the card and the transistor diode test was successful.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 04:49:02 pm by Glen121288 » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: