We are a group of Verado owners from all over the world that encourage the free exchange of information about the Verado engine. We are not affiliated with Mercury Marine and accept no advertising. We strictly exist from members contributions.
If you would like to join our group all we ask is that you register. If you want to join the contributor board, see the message down below in the free discussion area which explains the benefits of that section.
Your source for Verado Information
November 20, 2019, 10:56:51 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: CLICK HERE to become a contributor and gain access to the Expert section. PROBLEMS? email me at glenersly@mac.com-DO NOT CONTACT PAYPAL

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Spark plug access L4 200hp  (Read 283 times)
AS321NEO

« on: November 10, 2019, 12:47:46 pm »

Morning Gents!
Itís that sad time of the year here in Minnesota, winterization of the boat.  I have a 2018 L4 200hp, and wondering how to access the lower two spark plugs so that I can fog them.  My son helped yesterday by trying to remove the upper cowl release handle assembly.  Does that whole assembly need to be removed?  There is also a large V shaped plastic panel on the back that has what looks to be a grab tab towards the top.  Is that just attached by clips where you can grab the tab, and pull that panel off after  removal of the screws at the top? Being the first time working on the motor we didnít want to pull that panel off without knowing exactly how to remove it so that we didnít break it.

I searched here a bit, and the manual has nothing in it regarding spark plug access, so if someone could provide a detailed explanation of how to get to those two lower plugs I would really appreciate it!!!

Also, when I removed the top vent screw on the lower unit to drain the gear lube, there was no gasket on the screw, or left behind in the drain hole.  I checked the drain hole with a small screwdriver, checked in the drain pan, and all around the area, but no gasket was found.  Anyone else receive
a new motor from the factory missing gaskets?  I guess it can happen....

Thanks for any information!!!!
paulswagelock
Contributor

« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2019, 05:12:52 pm »

Remove the upper cowl. Then pull the latch in the fron lower motor to release the lower cowl and remove it.

Did you have milky lower unit oil since the gasket was missing?
AS321NEO

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2019, 05:50:53 pm »

Paul,

I donít think my engine has that latch set up, itís the 4 cyl.  Iíll take a look at it though, but it doesnít have the shorter V shaped cowl.

As far as water there was just a small amount of water streaking in the lube.  The screw was torqued on so tight that a screwdriver wasnít enough to get it to turn, needed to use my impact drill in reverse to free the screw.

paulswagelock
Contributor

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2019, 06:37:51 pm »

Now that you mentioned it, the I4 lower cowling is different.
See page 108 in the attached.

http://download.brunswick-marine.com/filereader/file/pdf/4/enen/outboard/2009/verado/10249r82.pdf
paulswagelock
Contributor

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2019, 06:41:10 pm »

Cowl removal

* 402F7E6B-B18E-4A06-BA00-6F5B0E70B0F0.png (567.58 KB, 1536x2048 - viewed 16 times.)
paulswagelock
Contributor

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2019, 06:41:43 pm »

Cowl removal

* 4725B093-559C-43E8-9051-83B3063DACC2.png (1094.42 KB, 1536x2048 - viewed 23 times.)
Len R

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2019, 08:49:20 pm »

Once you remove the matted plastic (2  8mm bolts below latch) and snap sides out and lift you will see how the latch assembly is held in...Remove 4 bolts and 2 inside cowling and latch assembly lifts out in one piece....You will now have access,,,,NOTE ,,be careful when removing the 2 bolts inside cowling as they have nuts not visible and will drop out...Locate them and put a dab of grease in slots and they will stay in place.

Boston Whaler 210 Outrage / L4 - 200 Rev.4
AS321NEO

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2019, 10:30:51 am »

Paul, and Len,

Thank you very much for this information! 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: