We are a group of Verado owners from all over the world that encourage the free exchange of information about the Verado engine. We are not affiliated with Mercury Marine and accept no advertising. We strictly exist from members contributions.
If you would like to join our group all we ask is that you register. If you want to join the contributor board, see the message down below in the free discussion area which explains the benefits of that section.
Your source for Verado Information
November 20, 2019, 11:07:31 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: CLICK HERE to become a contributor and gain access to the Expert section. PROBLEMS? email me at glenersly@mac.com-DO NOT CONTACT PAYPAL

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Verado not peeing - did 300hr service  (Read 320 times)
adova

« on: November 09, 2019, 06:31:50 pm »

Hi all -

Backstory - I ran my engines on hose and everything looked fine.  Went out for a trip and the port engine overheat alarm came on - there was no water coming from the pee hole.  Decided to go ahead and do a 300 hr service on both engines - nothing spectacular to report.  Same engine will still not pee (is there a better word for this??) with or without engine on, although there is a dribble.  It also does not have any water coming out of the exhaust port like the starboard engine.

I can hear water running through the engine, so it seems that the hose was properly connected back to the water pump after the 300 hr service.

I have tried running some mono through the hole to see if something is clogged, but nothing there.  It seems like an issue further back.

Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks!

Shawn
Len R

« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2019, 08:22:56 pm »

When you ran it on a hose did you have muffs on lower unit???  or did you run it on the flush port connection?

Boston Whaler 210 Outrage / L4 - 200 Rev.4
adova

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2019, 11:17:17 pm »

I ran it on the flush port connection - but that is the way it has always been run, so at least nothing different, even if not the best way.  The problem persists in the ocean as well.  Engines are 2013 300's if that helps.
BenL
Contributor

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2019, 09:11:38 am »

What H20 psi are you seeing on that port engine that is not peeing(this is the correct maritime term for the telltale discharge)? 

If that motor is putting out the normal psi, the path to the telltale is blocked somewhere in the system. 

Dusky 233 Open Fisherman
2007 Single Verado 250
16x17P Enertia Eco
adova

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2019, 10:28:21 am »

I will check that out and report back.

In the meantime, I pulled out the poppet valve - it had some material in there, but not much.  I am going to go ahead and replace both sides.

I also tried doing a back / reverse flush through the thermostat.  I was not sure if I should be flushing through the hose or removing the tstat and going through the engine - I chose the hose route.  I only saw one post about reverse flush here and that was Glen telling someone to search for "reverse flush" to find out how to do it lol.  Nothing exciting from my method, though.
BenL
Contributor

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2019, 01:37:10 pm »

At least you are trying as there is no harm in shooting fresh water through the system at all. 

If it were me, I'd follow the telltale/pisser, and keep poking/shoving the weedwacker monofilament up through the lines to find out where the blockage must be as there could be some big stuff that got sucked up or, those pesky mud daubers have made such a good nest that no water is allowed through the pee-hole. 

If you have good psi, at idle and at cruise then there has to be a blockage, or, when underway, the water could be squirting out of one of the connections?

Dusky 233 Open Fisherman
2007 Single Verado 250
16x17P Enertia Eco
adova

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2019, 02:00:21 pm »

Yea - I had pushed some 200lb mono through the telltale with no real results.

PSI is at about 65, which matches the working engine.

I was not able to replace the poppet valves since apparently there are no part stores open on Sundays in Fort Lauderdale.  However, I put the old one back in and noticed that there was some considerable water coming from it.  The water from the telltale has also increase to about 20% normal.  I am wondering if the poppet is the culprit - have to wait till tomorrow to find out.
Len R

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2019, 08:38:13 pm »

Motors must be run with muffs not thru flush port...Don't care how you or anyone else have been doing it...You need to supply rubber impeller with water any time its spinning or risk heating and possibly partial melting....If rubber softens due to heat they become compromised and don't supply the appropriate flow of water....... Regardless
« Last Edit: November 10, 2019, 08:41:33 pm by Len R » Logged

Boston Whaler 210 Outrage / L4 - 200 Rev.4
thunderstruck

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2019, 09:55:58 am »

The water pressure does not run at 65 psi  (more like 3-5 at idle and 10-15 psi when running).  You must be looking at oil pressure.  Make sure you look at the water pressure for both motors.
adova

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2019, 04:55:42 pm »

Ok - I re-checked and water pressure of the good engine was around 2.1 PSI and the hurt one was around 3.8 - 4.0.

I changed the poppet valve and now help.  At this point, I think I am going to hire a professional to check it out.  I have to fly out of town and would really like to have this solved for my Thanksgiving vacation when I return.

Thanks for all of the input.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: