We are a group of Verado owners from all over the world that encourage the free exchange of information about the Verado engine. We are not affiliated with Mercury Marine and accept no advertising. We strictly exist from members contributions.
If you would like to join our group all we ask is that you register. If you want to join the contributor board, see the message down below in the free discussion area which explains the benefits of that section.
Your source for Verado Information
November 20, 2019, 10:16:16 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: CLICK HERE to become a contributor and gain access to the Expert section. PROBLEMS? email me at glenersly@mac.com-DO NOT CONTACT PAYPAL

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Verado 2006 L4 150 - Surge or vibration  (Read 187 times)
NauticallyChallenged
Contributor

« on: October 29, 2019, 01:30:05 pm »

Guys,

I've read about the L4 not being as smooth as the L6, but I'm curious if what I'm experiencing is normal. I have twin 150's on my SeaCraft and at low idle I get a rhythmic vibration or surge around 1000rpms.

Both motors seem to be spot on for idle revs and run wide open at 6100rpm with little to no difference between motors.

I thought it may be a hub thing, so I replaced the Flo-Torq 2's with the Flo-Torq 4's and it made no difference for the vibration. And... it also occurs intermittently out of gear (which throws out the hub thing).

Also just did a full 300 hour service and even replaced the coils.

I'm starting to think it's normal since the RPM's aren't jumping around and since it's really only noticeable at idle speeds.

Thoughts, diagnostics or comments appreciated.

I recently signed up as a contributor, but payment is pending. Hoping I can get some help here!
BenL
Contributor

« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2019, 02:38:46 pm »

Could it be one of the propellers? 

Have you hit anything with either one of them? 

Dusky 233 Open Fisherman
2007 Single Verado 250
16x17P Enertia Eco
Len R

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2019, 04:27:53 pm »

What props are you running?

Boston Whaler 210 Outrage / L4 - 200 Rev.4
NauticallyChallenged
Contributor

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2019, 07:21:41 pm »

Mirage 17p.

There are a few nicks on the edges, but nothing I would consider an impairment. Iím open to getting rev 4ís or Enertia Ecoís if it makes sense.
chico

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2019, 10:00:02 am »

With my 175 I have had that vibration for years. Less noticeable when I had an aluminum prop though, maybe the weight of the prop is a factor. After 10 years still has the vibration in the no wake zone, I either speed up or slow down as it is annoying at times. I have tried a few L-6 V-Rods and they do not have this vibration and seem to be a lot smoother. Nature of the beast and nothing to worry about...Chico...
BenL
Contributor

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2019, 02:22:54 pm »

That the Verado was designed as an inline six cylinder for its " . . . inherently balanced cylinder firing configuration . . . " while the inline four cylinder Verado is a different motor, and reports over the years have all concluded that it is nowhere near as smooth/vibration-less as the bigger L6 motors, there will be some vibration. 

An imperfect propeller, does no favors to the motor.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 03:45:44 pm by BenL » Logged

Dusky 233 Open Fisherman
2007 Single Verado 250
16x17P Enertia Eco
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: