We are a group of Verado owners from all over the world that encourage the free exchange of information about the Verado engine. We are not affiliated with Mercury Marine and accept no advertising. We strictly exist from members contributions.
If you would like to join our group all we ask is that you register. If you want to join the contributor board, see the message down below in the free discussion area which explains the benefits of that section.
Your source for Verado Information
September 19, 2019, 01:18:00 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: CLICK HERE to become a contributor and gain access to the Expert section. PROBLEMS? email me at glenersly@mac.com-DO NOT CONTACT PAYPAL

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Starting a Verado for first time after sitting for years.  (Read 148 times)
Providince
Contributor

« on: September 12, 2019, 04:33:53 pm »

1st post after reading and lurking for a year. I have read the forums, the library and done searches and even then nervous I am asking a stupid question that could have easily been answered via prvious post.

I have been rebuilding a Fountain 31 for the last 2 years. It cam with 2 x first gen Verado 275 when purchased. Guy before me had same plans so had purchased at an auction but never tested them. They were sitting  when he bought them 3 years prior to me getting them 2 years ago so safe to say they have been sitting for 5 years.

If the engines are worthless because of that I am fine with it but hoping I may have been extremely lucky and engines are ok or can be ok with minimal repair.

If you have Verados that have been sitting for years unused, what process would you follow to test and start them?

If the prop shaft spins by hand is that a good indication powerhead is not locked up?

Thanks in advance.
thunderstruck
Veteran

« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2019, 09:33:47 am »

From another thread on motors that have not been operated in years.  BTW put "sitting" in the search function and some threads that will interest you will pop up.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Do a 300 hour service on the motor.

Drain as much fuel out of the motor as possible.  Including the FSM.
I would clean as much of the fuel system as possible.  Fuel lines, FSM, replace the red castle fuel filter and the high pressure filter.  Take the fuel rail off and clean the injectors as best you can.  Buy an FSM repair kit and perform the repair.

Inspect the plugs.  Add some oil to the cylinders.
Change the gear oil.  Take the LU off and change the water pump impeller and housing.  Shift the lower with a pair of pliars and turn the vertical shaft to see if the prop shaft turns.

Change the thermostat.

I am sure there is other stuff but if you can get the fuel system clean before trying to start it I think you would stand the best chance of an operational motor.

Once you get the motor running change the gear oil in about 10-20 hours to make sure there is no water in the gear oil.

Sounds like a great buy.
Providince
Contributor

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2019, 11:01:57 am »

Thank you so much. I knew I couldn't have been the first person with this question so I will search again. Thanks again!
Glen
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2019, 01:14:33 pm »

http://www.veradoclub.com/index.php?topic=2441.0

Welcome! Please search First, no problem is really new, also motor year and hours when posting
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: